How do you "tag" or label your kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naptown

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying some "shipping tags" to label my kegs that I'm aging. I thought it would be great to record the specifics of the brew (dates, gravities, etc...). I thought it would also be cool to use as "brew notes" and go back through them from time to time. I saw these on eBay:

!B-ZTqCgEWk~$(KGrHqJ,!iQEzNkuFd,5BM8nCTfbj!~~_3.JPG

Anyone else use these or something else?

There are 50 in this auction, so that should last me a long time!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PlaiN-HanG-Tags-BlaNk-Manila-ShippIng-MaNiLLa-String-50-/260845956653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbba16e2d

I use blue painters tape and a black marker. Keeps it simple and cheap

Same here.

I have some 'labels' for my sanitizer solution and another that says "clean". I like that I can easily transfer these between kegs.

I start by putting a tape label on the fermentation vessel. I can then transfer that tape to the keg.

I use tags - smaller ones I think.
ab_jan_15_2012_06_sm.jpg

Once a keg makes it to my keezer I hang the tag on the faucet shank, just behind the nut. Decidedly low tech, but it works for me...

Cheers!

Sharpie.

If I am lazy I just cross off the last name. If I'm not lazy I wipe it off with a bit of booze or isopropyl alcohol.

I use the same tags as the first pic, but with SS wire on them. Make's it nice to take them off and reuse them.

I write on them w/ a sharping in a single line, then when the keg is empty, I may put "Dirty" above the beer name or "Clean" if the keg is ready to go. I can then snip off the bottom portion and start another name or notes. They actually last quite a while instead of a single use that way.

I don't keg (yet) but what I use for beer cases may be of some assistance. I have several old cardboard cases of returnables (you know, the nice heavy duty ones) and I use library style pouches with a card inside them.

Just like what (used to be) inside the front cover of the library books. I just write the name and date on the card when I bottle.

I made a full-page sized "label" on Pages (Word for Mac), and just change the info for each batch, print it out, and attach it to the keg with painter's tape. It has the name of the beer, the style, the OG, brew date, and ABV.

Another "blue taper", here. I use numbers, in sharpie, on my bottle caps and keep a blue tape record right on the fridge. Kegs/carboys get blue tape, too.

masking tape and black marker no need of going hi tech when no one will see inside your kegerator

I'm still drinking my 1st batch, so I think it will be fun to keep the "toe tags" as a physical log moving forward. Unfortunately, I believe the tape would end up as a ball in the trash can. I do plan on starting a written log too.

I make labels on my computer (mostly naked chicks) and put all the info on the label(along with naked chicks) then I use that clear shelf liner as a way to stick them to the keg and protect the label. Chopps

JoeyChopps said:
I make labels on my computer (mostly naked chicks) and put all the info on the label(along with naked chicks) then I use that clear shelf liner as a way to stick them to the keg and protect the label. Chopps

Outstanding.

I'm using a fat chisel tip erasable marker (dry erase board): on Bucket-Carboys-Kegs.

I was thinking about buying some "shipping tags" to label my kegs that I'm aging. I thought it would be great to record the specifics of the brew (dates, gravities, etc...). I thought it would also be cool to use as "brew notes" and go back through them from time to time. I saw these on eBay:

!B-ZTqCgEWk~$(KGrHqJ,!iQEzNkuFd,5BM8nCTfbj!~~_3.JPG

Anyone else use these or something else?

There are 50 in this auction, so that should last me a long time!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PlaiN-HanG-Tags-BlaNk-Manila-ShippIng-MaNiLLa-String-50-/260845956653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbba16e2d
All the beer information is stored on my computer, no large tags required.
Different labels based on the process.

Dispensing
I put the style and keg number as reference.

Style

199f74a8-1.jpg

Tank #
DCP_1945-1.jpg

Fermentation
Fermentation date, back has the style

Fermenter2_1-1-1.jpg

Conditioning/Aging
Fermentation date, style and tank #

100_5421-1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Same with masking tape. If you number your brews in your brew book, you can simply write the brew number on the tape and save yourself a ton of double-writing.

Same for me..... Masking tape and a permanent marker.....

Back