CO2 injector

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
I don't have a keg system, but i wanted tome cheep way of releasing CO2 on top of my beer when i bottle to preserve it. anyone know of a cheep way to get pressurized C02 (maybe like for a pellet gun cartridge or a paintball gun) and then release it into your bottles? thanks.

No need to worry about that small amount of oxygen. When the yeast use up the sugar, the oxygen is used up too.

hmmmm kinda cool. well the other thing was is that I got some nice cognac from a friend, and i wanted to try it but as soon as i open it it will start to oxidize. i thought if i got some way to fill the bottle with CO2 i could try it but also keep it for a long time and it wont go bad, and i could also use the cO2 for my bottling

I stumbled upon this a few months ago, this uses the CO2 cartridges you are talking about. Its an inexpensive way to carbonate your beer, yet have it "on draft" too.
image_975.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/mini-kegs/tap-a-draft/tap-a-draft-system.html

hmmmm kinda cool. well the other thing was is that I got some nice cognac from a friend, and i wanted to try it but as soon as i open it it will start to oxidize. i thought if i got some way to fill the bottle with CO2 i could try it but also keep it for a long time and it wont go bad, and i could also use the cO2 for my bottling

what determines whether a hard liquor oxidizes?

Serious question, because I've never heard or had an 'oxidized' whisky or scotch or rum or tequila.

only cognac I drink is gran marnier and it never lasts more than a few months.

I guess I assumed distilled spirits were too high ABV to oxidize?

i think its oxidation that makes high proof liquors go bad. if my organic chem is correct, its is alcohol its self that gets oxidized,
alcohols + water + O2 --> aldehydes --> carboxilic acids (and thus bad flavors).

so, if there is no O2 available, the reaction wont take place :)

Back