Finally brewing again! Sierra Madre kit :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nymtber

Reaction score
Well, I havn't brewed a batch since beginning of June, due to basement temps being in the 70's, and I prefer to ferment in the low 60's max. I have since built a fermentation chamber (took me a while to finally do it) and today is the first nice day this week. So, I decided to finally get the NB Sierra Madre extract kit I have had since june going.

And, I remembered why I HATE DME. Always foams up a lot, I lost a tiny bit of water/DME to a little bitty boil over (I try to get as much water in my 5gal pot as I can, so as to have the lightest beer possible for any given style). Not that I really care about color as long as the taste is good.

This will be my 4th NB kit, and 4th overall batch. Love NB and their kits are awesome. I will be ordering my 3rd American Wheat kit very soon, its a smash hit (to say the least) with my family and my girlfriends family, and I love when family is happy. I of course enjoy the American Wheat a lot, too... :D

I hope I get the boil/cooling in before it rains. Its clear now, but the sky is getting questionable...

Way to get back in the saddle man. I too love NB kits and have yet to have a problem with one that was caused by the kit. Have fun.

Thanks! It was a LOT of work (I forgot just how much work even extract can be...) but I finished and still had time for a nice shave with my safety razor. My fermentation chamber is working hard to reduce the temperature of the carboy, I think I will need to add a small fan inside, thats another days project. I could probably move the probe as well, but I will let it run all day and check things when I get home from work tonight.

NB puts together some darn fine kits. If this one is even close to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, I will be ecstatic! Love SN PA, but its a bit pricy to drink all the time.

The next 6 weeks are gonna be very long...but it will be worth it :)

Try waiting another month in bottle. My St. Paul Porter kit tastes way better than it did when it was "ready" for drinking back in June.

Racked to secondary on Friday. Yes, I use secondary because I feel I get a good CLEAR beer with it, which is nice. Gravity was at 1.012 which is pretty much finished, another reason I LOVE US-05 yeast! I always try my first gravity sample, and it was a very tasty (albeit flat) beer.

4 more weeks before I get to pop a top and try some.

Also ordered my 3rd American Wheat kit (going to add a lb of honey this time) and a Nukey Brown Ale kit. And more bottle caps...Wish I had space for kegs/keezer but I simply dont.

Latest posts

Back