kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerdentist

Reaction score
Just made the switch from bottling to kegging.:ban: Kegged my first batch last night. dIPA from midwest. I didn't fill the corney with co2 before racking over the beer, and i didn't use the relief valve for 20-30 secs while carbing as i have seen on here. Just a couple of quick blast to relieve some o2. Have I oxidized the beer by forcing too much O2 in there? Sitting at work and can't check it for another couple of hours. Its been on 30 for almost 24 hours and should be ready to turn down around 7-10 psi and try tonight.

Just made the switch from bottling to kegging.:ban: Kegged my first batch last night. dIPA from midwest. I didn't fill the corney with co2 before racking over the beer, and i didn't use the relief valve for 20-30 secs while carbing as i have seen on here. Just a couple of quick blast to relieve some o2. Have I oxidized the beer by forcing too much O2 in there? Sitting at work and can't check it for another couple of hours. Its been on 30 for almost 24 hours and should be ready to turn down around 7-10 psi and try tonight.

a couple blasts should be enough to purge the oxygen out, I'd say your fine. however, in this short amount of time your beer may be carbonated but will still be green. I've found that conditioning a good 10-14 days in the keg makes a huge difference

Its been on 30 for almost 24 hours and should be ready to turn down around 7-10 psi and try tonight.
\

Not unless you get home and shake the hell out of it for 10 minutes. Then it will need a few hours to sit.

How do you fill the keg with CO2 before racking the beer over. You wouldnt be able to get the lid off of it to put your beer in. Oxidizing should'nt be a problem if you rack the keg from the bottom up to avoid splashing the beer and incorporating O2 into it. I just purge the O2 out with a few (5) tugs on the release valve.

How do you fill the keg with CO2 before racking the beer over. You wouldnt be able to get the lid off of it to put your beer in. Oxidizing should'nt be a problem if you rack the keg from the bottom up to avoid splashing the beer and incorporating O2 into it. I just purge the O2 out with a few (5) tugs on the release valve.

CO2 is heavier than air, take the lid off or pull the pressure release and blast it with CO2 via quick dis/connect for 10 seconds or so. CO2 will sit at the bottom of the keg and displace its volume of air out. Then when transferring, the beer will displace the CO2 at the bottom and the air above the CO2. Purge with CO2 when done as a CYA. Sounds complicated...really not.

Is this how most people keg. Purging with co2 first. I never heard if that. Might give UT a whirl

Back