Question about storing in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKrizman

Reaction score
I hear a lot of people advising to keep your beer in the bottle for 5 weeks or so before drinking. Does this mean storing it at cool room temperature or in the fridge?

Thanks,

-R

I've heard closer to 3 weeks. Even then, I sampled my first batch at a week, then two ... It was drinkable at a week but still a little green, two weeks was good.

3 weeks at 70 degree tends to work best to carb & condition most beers (less time for some, and more for others dependant of style and abv..I've had some take 8 weeks to carb...while barley wines may take nearly a year) After you check them and they are carbed, you can store them however you want...

But not in the cupboard above the fridge, I learned the hard way!!!:D

Take a read of this, I go over the carb/conditioning process...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

Also keep in mind that the '3 week rule' is also to let the beer condition and 'mellow/meld' some of its flavors. (And even more time makes it better)

(Dont get mad at me Revvy - I couldnt help myself)

But I cracked a CCA today at 10 days in the bottle. It honestly wasnt what I expected (I dont know what to expect anyway) But it was still a bit hot and green. I really do believe this beer will improve (it happened with my last batch) :)
-Me

Yeah, my first batch I cracked after 10 days in the bottle and was very disappointed. Two weeks later it was wonderful.

I guess what I'm asking is whether the mellowing/conditioning will continue to improve the beer after it's in the fridge, or if I should leave the bulk of it stored in a cool garage and just chill as needed.

-R

Yeah, my first batch I cracked after 10 days in the bottle and was very disappointed. Two weeks later it was wonderful.

I guess what I'm asking is whether the mellowing/conditioning will continue to improve the beer after it's in the fridge, or if I should leave the bulk of it stored in a cool garage and just chill as needed.

-R

The beer is going to, let's say, "evolve" until you drink it...it never stops, since it's alive....But the cooler the temp, the slower it happens...

Back