Anybody jealous of the grain display at your LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I walk into my LHBS and I see 3 foot tall plastic tubes with a release lever on the bottom. Pull the lever, grain pours out. Cool!!!!

Now, I think that's pretty handy and all, but those systems are ridiculously expensive! I'm seeing them for $100+ per tube!!! And then there's the size issue. They're much too big for the typical homebrewer.

So what about clear plastic mailing tubes? They're made out of acrylic, you can buy them in 3'L x 3"D for about five bucks a piece. Just fashion a sliding door on the bottom of a piece of wood and some way of keeping the tubes steadied and you've got yourself some 3 pound storage containers with easy access. No more opening bags and twist-ties, no rooting through a box of bags only to realize you already used your last half pound of special B.

Advantages? You can "inventory" you grain effortlessly. You'll know exactly what specialty grains you have in stock and what you need to order. It'd look pretty hardcore and would be a nice conversation piece- why do you need 12 different kinds of grain like? What are they for? Can you really taste the difference?

My LHBS uses flip-top boxes, like a bulk candy store. :)

That said, perhaps making the "door" something similar to what's on the top of a can of parmasean cheese?

Sir Humpsalot said:
So I walk into my LHBS and I see 3 foot tall plastic tubes with a release lever on the bottom. Pull the lever, grain pours out. Cool!!!!

Now, I think that's pretty handy and all, but those systems are ridiculously expensive! I'm seeing them for $100+ per tube!!! And then there's the size issue. They're much too big for the typical homebrewer.

So what about clear plastic mailing tubes? They're made out of acrylic, you can buy them in 3'L x 3"D for about five bucks a piece. Just fashion a sliding door on the bottom of a piece of wood and some way of keeping the tubes steadied and you've got yourself some 3 pound storage containers with easy access. No more opening bags and twist-ties, no rooting through a box of bags only to realize you already used your last half pound of special B.

Advantages? You can "inventory" you grain effortlessly. You'll know exactly what specialty grains you have in stock and what you need to order. It'd look pretty hardcore and would be a nice conversation piece- why do you need 12 different kinds of grain like? What are they for? Can you really taste the difference?

Can you point us to the source of the $100 tubes, for reference?

hoppers are too small perhaps.
http://www.amazon.com/Zevro-Dual-Dispenser-Black-Chrome/dp/B00013K8OO

516HJJMD6ML._AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Zevro-Triple-Canister-Mounted-Dispenser/dp/B0009MGQUM/ref=pd_sim_k_title_1

51N7K7835JL._AA280_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good find, olllllo. I figure one gallon of capacity = 3 pounds of grain, give or take. So those would work. But I'm still looking at a hundred bucks for 6.

I will have to keep my eyes on the ones over at Target and such. I know I've seen them there. I just never put the two together before. Basically, the same thing. I doubt they'll be cheap enough for as many as I would want. But I will look. :mug:

Germey said:
you could use a dust collector blast gate for the "door"
95352_clp.JPEG

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10827

Hey! That'd be slick! The 3" tube would probably fit perfectly in there. A little epoxy or silicone to seal it up and keep it rigid.

I can get the 3"x36" tubes for about $4.50. Get the blast gate for $4 and I can have 10 types of specialty grain, on display and ready for use for about $85.

Argh. I hate when cheap projects start to add up. I think that's a sign I'm not enough of a pack rat. ;)

Maybe I should price a single sheet of flexible plastic at The Home Despot or something.

Sir Humpsalot said:
and I can have 10 types of specialty grain, on display and ready for use

I'm struck with an image of Dr. Frank-n-Furter spinning the knobs on the colored tubes and laughing as he(?) creates the monster (Meatloaf)...

Apologies to anyone who hasn't seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

rdwj said:
Cool idea, but I wonder how well it would do with flow control. Would you be able to close it easily? Seems like it might be a lot of trouble.

Mount it upside down and add a lever.

Then you could also place a conveor belt under the output and have it dump strait into your mill, Then from your mill to your MT!

Germey said:
I'm struck with an image of Dr. Frank-n-Furter spinning the knobs on the colored tubes and laughing as he(?) creates the monster (Meatloaf)...

Apologies to anyone who hasn't seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Actually, Meatloaf (Eddie) was Frank's first creation. Not the one we, the audience, witness the creation of.

Man, I feel old...

:drunk:

I use these. They fit a 55lb bag of malt and alot of smaller zip bags.

I just roll them into the pantry when I'm done weighing out the grain.

:)

Ó Flannagáin said:
I use an old fermentation bucket to hold my grains before I crush them, I've found that 1 gallon is almost exactly 5lbs of american 2-row.
I do the same thing. I walk into the LHBS with two buckets and lids and I start milling. Then I seatbelt them into the back seat for the drive home.

I will start buying and storing grain at home once I get a good mill and then I plan to just do the same as my LHBS does. Use 30 gallon tubs, a scoop and a scale.

MadWeezel said:
Mount it upside down and add a lever.

Then you could also place a conveor belt under the output and have it dump strait into your mill, Then from your mill to your MT!

For some reason that prompted that Gershwin tune they use in Bugs Bunny cartoons to stick in my head. Thanks a lot!

I went the cheap route. I use a cheap metal shelving unit I got at a yard sale. On there I put a dozen small plastic totes that hold about 4-5 pounds each. On the bottom shelf I have three larger totes that hold about 10-12 pounds of grain. I keep the grains in these in zip lock bags as the totes aren't air tight. Since I have a bigger variety of grains than what I have containers, the zip lock bags make it possible to put more than one variety in the same tote. I just put labels on the ends of the totes so I can see at a glance what I want.

My base grains are stored in three large bins with O-ring seals on the lids and wheels on the bottom for easy moving. They will each hold about 65-70# of grain.

I'm not jealous of the grain display at my LHBS. I have a bigger variety and they are easier to locate on the shelf.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Interesting ideas for a new toy, but I think I'll just stick with storing my grains in labeled platic totes with covers and scooping out what I need. As far as keeping inventory, Beersmith aready does that for me.

Latest posts

Back