Trying out a porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtones84

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a porter tomorrow. I don't want the IBU's high, I don't want a robust porter. I want a nice, smooth porter with a good body. These are the ingredients I already have and will definitely be using, but am wondering about a couple of additions of things I've got around...

5 lbs. Maris Otter
3 lbs. Munich
1 lb. Flaked Oats
1 lb. Crystal 80L
10 oz. Chocolate malt
8 oz. Turbinado sugar

1 oz. EKG (60)
.5 oz. Williamette (60)
.5 oz. Williamette (15)

SRM: 31.7 IBU: 16.6 Est OG: 1.062

Notty

So, I also have about 6 oz. of De-husked carafa malt lying around and around .5 oz. of Czech Saaz and plenty of Centennial pellets. I know centennial isn't particularly to style, but do you think it would hurt in as part of the 60 min. addition if I want a few more IBU? As for the carafa, part of me just wants to put all 6 oz. in since it's not too much, but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with it. I also have some special B but I decided to save that for the next time I do a dubbel ;)

Thanks guys!

Sounds like you want a Brown Porter (Probably my favorite style). If you scaled back the amounts to lower the OG I think you would have a very much to style and extremely tasty brown porter. Leave it as it is and it will just be extremely tasty. :rockin:

I would leave it as is (or lower the gravity to get within style - but that's just me), but a little Carafa or Special B could add some nice notes to it. If you can use Pale Chocolate even better - I dig TF pale chocolate.

As far as hops I typically only want them to play a supporting role in this style. Centennnial for bittering could work and would allow you to save the EKG for somehting else. I use Williamette exclusively in mine at around 20-25 IBU. You can barely tell they are there and its perfect.

Cheers

Please let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, I'm going for a brown porter like thing but I'm not super concerned with getting the numbers exact for the style. I will consider lowering the OG a bit but it just kind of ended up this way while I was dreaming the recipe up. Thanks for the tips though, for sure! It might come down to brew time to see if the carafa goes in. As for the centennial I think I will probably put a little in at the bittering stage since I'm under 20 IBU's right now.

Well, the 6 oz. of de-husked carafa went in and so did about 1/3 oz. Centennial @ 60 min. to get me to about 21.5 IBU. Smelled DELICIOUS during the whole process. I did also grind the grain by hand while the strike water was heating and used a new handmade wort chiller though, so I may be a touch biased ;)

Back