5.2 Stabilizer - Does it affect mineral content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
Aside from affecting pH, does the product 5.2 Stabilizer affect the mineral content of the water to which it is added? For example, are the Calcium, magnesium, and sulphate levels altered after adding the 5.2 buffer?

I know that 5.2 is a phosphate based buffer, but not sure if it is sodium or potassium phosphate. If it is sodium phosphate (most likely) then it will minimally increase sodium levels.

You may also get a slight decrease in calcium as calcium phosphate may be formed, but this should be so minor to be of no concern.

If someone wants to do the math with solubility constants, be my guest. I am not at home with my references right now, so this is all educated speculation at this point.

I did do the math awhile back to figure out exactly what was in 5.2 and its buffering capability (which was much less than I expected FWIW), if I can find that file I will post it somewhere.

I had this question a while back too, and the answer is essentially no. They actually had no problem telling us via email exactly what was in it.

I e-mailed and asked specifically if it changed chloride and sulfate levels, as these are the minerals I am most concerned with and how they effect the flavor of beer. I was told "no."

As per Five Star;

"... The 5.2 stabilizer is a blend of two salts. They are neutralized versions of phosphoric acid. They are monosodium phosphate (Na H2 PO4) and disodium phosphate (Na2HPO4) in the right ratio they will form a buffer that locks the pH at 5.2..."

For anyone here that doesn't know and wants to. Five Star asserts that the mineral composition of the solution water will not change but, many of the published HB Guru's emphaticalluy warn that too much of the slats will alter the flavor of the water and or beer.

As per Five Star;

"... The 5.2 stabilizer is a blend of two salts. They are neutralized versions of phosphoric acid. They are monosodium phosphate (Na H2 PO4) and disodium phosphate (Na2HPO4) in the right ratio they will form a buffer that locks the pH at 5.2..."

For anyone here that doesn't know and wants to. Five Star asserts that the mineral composition of the solution water will not change but, many of the published HB Guru's emphaticalluy warn that too much of the slats will alter the flavor of the water and or beer.

Just to make things scientifically correct. Na (sodium) is a mineral, so when you add 5.2, you will be adding minerals. Now how important this is in terms of brewing is a different matter. Likely the levels are not enough to worry about (unless you have high Na in your water already). But you are technically altering the minerals. This will not affect the levels of the other minerals, except maybe, as deathweed said, Ca which bonds with PO4 to make a quite insoluble salt. This btw this is what happens with Starsan and those of us who have hard water. Ca in the water reacting with the phospate in Starsan making it milky

Back