Alternative To LHBS Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruserm

Reaction score
I have done some searching on this forum for this answer and I think it will be ok but I want to make sure I don’t ruin a batch of beer. If I have a recipe that calls for flaked wheat can I use flaked wheat from a whole foods store; for instance like the one here Azure Standard - Wheat, Rolled, Flakes.

From Azure Standard you can buy different grains, could I supplement these for any recipe that calls for flaked whatever grains. If I can use these whole foods grains I can get these for about .60/lb vs. LHBS 2.50/lb. :mug:

Also, is torrified wheat the same as flaked wheat; are the terms interchangeable?

Although they try to make their process special, it is exactly how all flaked wheat is made.

Different products. Torrified wheat is not rolled, it's slightly puffed.

Yes. Any flaked grain is an unmalted grain that has been dehusked and sent through hot rollers. This gelatinizes the starch, eliminating the need to pre cook (cereal mash) before adding to a normal mash.

Quick oats from the grocery store will do the same thing. I think torrified and flaked are interchangeable. Torrified wheat is not rolled. It is pre gelatinized, but it comes in whole form.

Thanks for the clarification. So just a general question, do most brewers buy some of their grain from whole/bulk food suppliers? I talked to a few home brewers and all seem to buy from a HBS.

Back