Recipe assistance - Spiced Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adagiogray

Reaction score
Ok - So I'm still very much a novice 2 years into this. I've been tasked with coming up with a spiced oatmeal stout for a friend's wedding. (I'm also brewing up a scottish, but I'm pretty confident and experienced with the recipe I'll be using for that). I have no idea how to use an app like beersmith. My method is largely like deathbrewer's method for doing all-grain. I use two 5 gallon pots with about 2.5-3 gallons in each, and basically mash the grain twice using the large nylon net-bag that stretches over the lip of the pot and a mash paddle - once in each pot to get good use out the grain). I'm assuming roughly 75% efficiency?

I've looked at a lot of different oatmeal and american stout recipes, and I've cobbled this together. I brew to taste, not to style, so this is a bit of a frankenbeer, I'm going to try to go big and complex on this one. I'd love it if someone could plug my numbers in and tell me where I should be hitting with my OG and FG, etc. I'm completely guessing. I've decided to name it Krydder (spice) oatmeal stout.

Krydder Spiced Oatmeal Stout
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs WLP 002 English Ale Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 gallons (might push this one out closer to 6)
Original Gravity: I'm guessing 1.100-1.110ish?
Final Gravity: 1.012 - 1.018?
ABV: 11-12%ish?
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color:50ish?
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 at 68-72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 at 68-72

Grain Bill (13.25 lbs total)
-------------------------------------------------
10 lb Pale Malt 2 Row (Maris Otter most likely)
0.50 lb Crystal Malt 80L
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (for head retention)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (**toast @350F for about 30 minutes?**)
0.50 lb Roasted Barley

Mash
----------------------------------------------------
Mash pot 1@155 for 60 mins(3-3.5 gallons),
Mash pot 2 @160 for 30-45 mins(2-2.5 gallons)

Boil - 90 mins
-------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz Cascade Hops (1 oz Boil 90 mins, 1 oz at 5 mins or flameout)
I wanted something a little more aromatic than Fuggles/Golding, with a little more bittering to counter the sweet/big body. Leave the hops in primary.
2 lbs molasses - Boil 15 mins (Will this overpower, should I reduce it to 1lb?)
4 cups cold-pressed coffee
0.5 cup cocoa powder - Boil 15 mins
2 tbsp pumpkin spice - boil 15 mins

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Age 6+ months! Thoughts?

Finally found a calculator. Looks like my hops/IBUs are low, and I'll need a beefier yeast. WLP002 can only get these grains to about 8%, but their WLP775 will take it to 9.6%. Although, that's a cider yeast. Seems their WLP004 Irish Ale yeast will take it closer to 10%. Hrm. Hrrrrrrm.

Latest posts

Back