Im worse than a kid Christmas morning. Thank you for your patience with me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I cant believe how 'ridiculous' I have become in this short time of brewing. (See 1 day)

I know that I was excited BEFORE I got my kit (before Xmas no less) :rockin: But damn! This is getting silly! (Im sure my goofy excitement will subside a bit as well)

It all started when I was cooking the wort. I absolutely LOVED the smell. (In a strange sort of way - yes and I posted about this too) The initial steeping of the grains tasted yummy and got me excited. The war department and daughter both hated the smell and daddy has to go outside to brew from now on.

My daughter and I woke up this AM to sit and watch the airlocks 'burp' and we giggled like little schoolgirls. Ive found myself going back in to watch the burpageness and even sat and watched it for close to 45 minutes.

NOW Im getting all excited cause I am getting the 'Rhino Farts' from my brewing batch of Apfelwein. You can definitely smell it when you walk into the den, but I am finding that I can smell it throughout the house (even though noone else can - thank goodness!) I was so excited that I even got the WD to come in and smell it for herself! Oh yes, and it does smell kinda putrid... (But its still cool!!!)

I swear, I am worse than a little kid Xmas AM. Between running in to watch my airlocks and posting the most nominal of details here (and read others experiences) I almost feel as if I will burst with excitement! No, its not an impatience excitement, its the fact that 'Holy ****! Its really happening like they said it would!' WOWEEEEE!!!

I swear, If I feel this excited about the hobby 1 year from now then my premie membership will be renewed as a lifetime membership.

Thanks to everyone here for such great advise, and tolerating my post spam to share my excitement with you all! :rockin::mug:
-Me

Just wait till he builds a blanket fort over his fermenters and climbs inside....

Just don't take a flashlight to read your comic books with...the light is bad for the beer if i's in carboys.

:D

Hey, I am still like that almost a year in.

Best part: he calls his wife the "war department". Funny to me, not so much to him I'm guessing. Still, a little self-deprecating humor is good.:D

Well let me put your mind at ease....... I've been brewing for 6 years and i feel exactly the same way you do everytime i brew. I still giggle when i see the airlock bubbling too :D

I just got into all grain this weekend and did a partial mash and was grinning from ear to ear the whole time.

It truly is still a blast after all this time.

Hey, I am still like that almost a year in.

Best part: he calls his wife the "war department". Funny to me, not so much to him I'm guessing. Still, a little self-deprecating humor is good.:D
I thought that was pretty hilarious too.

Hah! I feel the exact same way. I have just started (7 batches in) and when I can't brew (due to lack of equipment which is due to the economy) I'm reading these forums, listening/watching The Jamil Show, Brew Strong, or Basic Brewing, drooling over conical fermenters/wort chillers/refractometers/etc, smelling my current batches airlock, or rationing myself home brews.

Never been this into a hobby - think this one's here to stay folks.

Last December, SWMBO had early delivery of my Bday present. Batch 19 (6th AG) brewed yesterday. I still measure lag time to the minute, watch krausen for color change and heigth changes...

Yes, it's a good, wonderful, joyous and addicting obsess... er.. Hobby!

Welcome!

i see u also got ur brew kit before xmas lol, i told my wife that i wanted one for xmas but then told her that i changed my mind and i wanted my own home brewed beer for xmas so we would have to get the kit now haha and it worked...i just started my batch friday night im hoping it turns out ok!

i see u also got ur brew kit before xmas lol, i told my wife that i wanted one for xmas but then told her that i changed my mind and i wanted my own home brewed beer for xmas so we would have to get the kit now haha and it worked...i just started my batch friday night im hoping it turns out ok!

The good thing about that is that after you brew a couple batches and read more stuff, you will have a list of "gizmos" that you will realize you need, and you can ammend your christmas list or buy some Christmas Presents for yourself.

Oxygentation system, wort chiller, turkey fryer, more fermentors, a system like this.

da%20beer%20machine.jpg

Little things like that :D

Just think, if you have kids, you'll never get ties ever again.

Having a "War Department" is the best thing that could happen to a brewer!! Just wait until you get the brewers equivalent of one of those thousand dollar military hammers!

You sound like me in a lot of ways! But..............the best is yet to come. Just wait until you have one of the best beers you've ever had in your life, and it's one of YOURS! That makes the addiction even worse! I am always thinking about beer, beer ingredients, temperatures (oh, it's a nice day- it'd be a perfect temperature for starting an ale!), and start growing hops. It only gets better as time goes on!

After hockey practice today, I came in all sweaty, and pulled a pint of APA that I made about 6 weeks ago with mostly homegrown hops. This beer really makes me proud and it's exactly how I wanted it. I can taste it and say, "Yes! This is what I was going for." It's a great feeling. I grew the hops, dried them, crushed the grain, grew the yeast culture, and kegged it in my kegerator. Talk about self- satisfaction of a job well done!

LOL Ill tell ya what - it sure has grown on me in a very short period of time! I now find myself looking through the grocery store for brewing stuff (so I dont have to drive so far to the HB shop) And my mind is always racing, thinking of what I want to experiment with next. (I couldnt sleep last night cause I was thinking of new things to attempt to my brews) It sucks because I am torn between waiting to actually FINISH my first brew (its only been in there a couple of days) to see how it turns out, or starting another brew using my bottling bucket as another primary.
I am beginning to get the brewn00b jitters with this first batch cause the airlock was going ballistic for the first 24 hours or so, and its now died down quite a bit. (While the MacGyvered Apfelwein I have next to it is bubbling away and stinking up my room like crazy) But Im sure its fine - time will tell and I know this :)
Brewing your own beer really makes you appreciate your beer as you drink it as well. I found myself analyzing the different flavors of my Sammy Adams last night. Mmmmmmmm

Oh yeah, and Revvy I think I have to change my pants now. Thanks...
-Me

Latest posts

Back