Dry hopping advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmillie76

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA and am looking for some input as far as what type of hops to dry hop with. The recipe had 1 oz of US Magnum @ 60 min, 1 oz Centennial and 1 oz Cascade @ 15 min, and 2 oz of Warrior @ 0 min. I was thinking of about 2 oz for around 10-14 days but not sure of what to use. Do you need to use a hop that was in your recipe or can you divert from that path and use other hop varieties. This will be my first time dry hopping. Just trying to get an idea

Thanks

Feel free to divert, there is nothing that says you need to use any of the same hops. That said, Cascade and Centennial make for good canidates. Are you planning on racking to a secondary?

I will be racking to my secondary tomorrow. Letting it sit for a week and then dry hopping starting next week. Thanks for the reply

I made the mistake of dry hopping for over two weeks. I could definitely taste the grassy flavors in the beer. I had sampled it before dry hopping so I know that's what did it. I'll never leave it in the hops for longer than a week again.

I've had excellent results adding my dry hop addition at the end of primary fermentation, between 24 and 48 hours before moving the beer into secondary. The activity helps mix the hops around well, and then moving to secondary avoids letting the hops sit too long.

I also like adding it near the very tail end of the primary. Read about the technique from some homebrew champion. Some do say that will inhibit complete fermentation though I think due to the oils from the hops. As far as grassy tastes, I have never noticed it. In fact I left hops in once for 50 days. Citra I believe. I entered it into a competition and the judges didn't say one word about grassy flavors, nor could I point them out.

I have also heard the complaint that it inhibits fermentation, however I have never personally experienced that before. As for grassy, I had a Cascade Ale that I dry hopped with Chinook/Willamette go grassy after three weeks in secondary.

I just dryhopped a beer this morning. The plan is to keg it in the next 5 days. I really like dryhopping for 3-7 days (5 days is my preference) to make the aromas really "pop".

You can't go wrong with the centennial/cascade combo for dryhopping!

chiteface said:
I also like adding it near the very tail end of the primary. Read about the technique from some homebrew champion. Some do say that will inhibit complete fermentation though I think due to the oils from the hops. As far as grassy tastes, I have never noticed it. In fact I left hops in once for 50 days. Citra I believe. I entered it into a competition and the judges didn't say one word about grassy flavors, nor could I point them out.

I wonder if the type of hops has alot to do with how long to dry hop?

thd2146 said:
I wonder if the type of hops has alot to do with how long to dry hop?

Yeah I don't know either that's why I included that...also let me clarify, I didn't dry hop that long on purpose. It just got away from me due to school and work. Also i did score a 32 on that beer, so not great but not the end of the world, I guess was my point.

From what I understand, the type of hop over time doesn't matter as the alpha acids that impart the aroma during the dry hop period do not go through any molecular transformation as they would during the boil.

Back