blew the lid and airlock off...Soooo....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbird1977

Reaction score
Question is will my brew be fine? Krausen spilled over...recaped and its bubbling away. Next time a blow off tube.

ForumRunner_20120117_083454.jpg

Haha.. Awesome! Yes, your beer is fine - the beauty of fermentation is the CO2 is pushing everything up and out so chances of anything getting in are extremely slim.

Best thing to do here would be to sanitize and clean then rig in a blow off tube for the remainder of your fermentation however if that isn't a possibility, clean the outside of your carboy the best you can, clean and sanitize your cork and CO2 lock and put it all back together again but keep an eye out, chances are it may happen again.

Honestly though, a 10 minute trip to home depot or lowes for some tubing would be your best bet. Run it from your carboy into about a half gallon of sanitized water.

Oh,the beermanity! I agree,clean it up & rig a blow off. I start my ferments with blow off rigs as of a couple brews ago. Def a lesson learned moment. Hell,when my wife was fermenting her summer shandy,we had a blow off rigged. We were sitting here the next evening after ferment started with beer & videos. I was just about to pour a beer,& suddenly a loud,quick POP! It blew the lid off the ale pale 2/3's of the way round! Cleaned & re-sealed,making sure the blow off tube wasn't plugged.

That looks just like our first beer- I am so happy we stuck the carboy in a bathtub for fermentation!

We actually washed, sanitized, and replaced the cap and airlock every ten minutes for a couple hours. Then we just left it open for the rest of the day and recapped it at bedtime. It did slow down considerably after 24 hours.

Next batch (today!) we're using a blow-off tube.

Thanks all this is actually my 20th batch so I kinda knew better but never really asked if it would be ok. I put a blow off tube on it and its going smooth now. I did another batch a day after this one and used my smaller secondary carboy ....yep blow off tube applied. Got 3 going now and 3 kegged. Good times.

ForumRunner_20120118_172234.jpg

Latest posts

Back