developing a malt flavor and aroma memory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mensplace

Reaction score
This may well sound silly to some, but I am puzzling over the best way to develop the same kind of flavor and aroma memory that is such a part of my cooking. Okay, I have made many, many batches of brews (all grain), enjoyed the aromas of the malts in the bags, and made some great ales of several types, but the ability to know in my mind what each malt component would add is still elusive. In most cooking, I know exactly what the individual spice or ingredient will taste like in combination with every other ingredidient. With the many types of malts, even after reading the detailed descriptions, and having used them, this is still eluding me. Why important...because I think this would help my blending and creating new styles. One idea is to order small quantities of the many that I use and simply boiling them each into a solution to REALLY get to know it by it many characteristics....maybe even to the point of doing blind tasting and smelling to the point that I can appreciate what makes it what it is. Somehow, this mental memory would seem very valuable in my mental formulation and mixing.

I've though of this same thing, because I cook the same way, by flavor memory. So far for brewing the only one I've been able to "get" have to do with cascade and centennial hops. But haven't got any of the malts down yet...

One Idea is from the basic brewing guys.

Look at these videos....

May 15, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment
We get unexpected results when we compare unhopped beers made with three different base malts.

May 27, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment II
Our Base Malt Experiment continues as we compare beer with and wtihout hops.

August 8, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment III
It's the final installment of the Base Malt Experiment as we use liquid yeast to ferment beers made with and without hops.

Basic Brewing? : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - Basic Brewing Video?

This hit home last night when I had a Sierra Nevada 2009 ESB. The classic English ISB malts were there, but the presence of American hops made it a totally different style that my mind refused to call ESB. I have experienced that now with so many styles that called themselves one thing, but they didn't really fit my mental notion of what that style was supposed to be. Maybe relying too much on style standards, but that at last gives me a starting point. Whether with malts or hops, that flavor and aroma memory would help me tremendously as I go about my thinking and blending. Thanks for the videos!

No problem....I'm trying to find a thread the grinder1200 started on a similar vein...

Oh I am getting one malt that is coming through in my tastebuds....a bready one, but I'm not sure which it is..
Another cool thing to do is to consider doing SMaSHe's...(look them up)
You don't have to do 5 gallon bathes of them you could do 1-2.5 gallon bathes as well...

I'll post the link to the other thread if I can remember it.

Two possibilities: brew one gallon batches of beer with just 2-row and one specialty grain. Or track down a BJCP class.

This all makes perfect sense to me and ties in so well with my cooking, writing, photography and oil painting...i.e. the sense of feeling a VanGogh while in Paris. My flavor memories are so strong that they evoke memories of wonderful times long ago. Too, saw a section on the TV about one "genius" who could do mental calculations of incredibly complex numbers as color images. I really like the idea of some very hot water and the french press, but may kick it up a notch by putting smaller quantities in the espresso maker and using the steam to really get the flavor out. The esters from the steam should really drive home the flavors and aromas. Of course, hops tea as a tisane has long been a cure for nerves and sleeplessness.
The video were a real gold mine that should be used by all. Thanks for the gift. I truly think that this little exercise will be a great long term help!

I've though of this same thing, because I cook the same way, by flavor memory. So far for brewing the only one I've been able to "get" have to do with cascade and centennial hops. But haven't got any of the malts down yet...

One Idea is from the basic brewing guys.

Look at these videos....

May 15, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment
We get unexpected results when we compare unhopped beers made with three different base malts.

May 27, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment II
Our Base Malt Experiment continues as we compare beer with and wtihout hops.

August 8, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment III
It's the final installment of the Base Malt Experiment as we use liquid yeast to ferment beers made with and without hops.

Basic Brewing? : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - Basic Brewing Video?

i just watched some of the video podcasts, and these guys could not be any more boring to watch. the experiment was interesting but good lord it was like watching grass grow

I don't think that is silly at all.I'm still fairly new to brewing,but like to know and under stand what makes flavors i like and dislike(i was a chef for quite a while and still cook at home).As a matter of fact that is my ultimate goal,To create "MY" perfect beer.Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you.Just wanted to say your not alone:D

The podcasts were interesting to me, in fact as soon as I saw the three different base malts I could at once taste the flavor of the English. Too, it made we wonder about the use of the Belgian Pale malt ...as it was both darker and sweeter. Based on that, I am now thinking of running a batch of this:

11 pounds Belgian Pale Ale Malt
1 lb Brown malt
1 lb Victory
1/4 lb Special B
1/4 lb Chocolate Malt
2 pounds Chrystal 60

1 oz Brewers Gold
1 oz Fuggles
1oz Kent Goldings

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Latest posts

Back