OCD or just weird preferences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes me want to spray her with a fire hose until sand and skin are gone and then put her in a giant pool of fresh water.

Which reminds me of another preference of mine. My wife wanted a salt water pool in our yard. I know there's benefits to that but, no thanks. I think it's crazy.

Wow, is this ever the thread for me. :D
I'll start off with a few.

I have to load the silverware in the utensil basket in the dishwasher separated by type. All spoons go together, all forks together, etc.

That makes sense, but it's not recommended to load a dishwasher this way, because the spoons will nest inside each other and block the water from washing every side.

The better way would be to mix and match as best you can, so that all utensils get an even and complete washing.

That makes sense, but it's not recommended to load a dishwasher this way, because the spoons will nest inside each other and block the water from washing every side.

The better way would be to mix and match as best you can, so that all utensils get an even and complete washing.

Don't try to change me!!! :D
Because of other OCD issues, everything I put in the dishwasher is pretty much completely clean anyways. So if they nest inside each other, it's not that big of a deal.

My wife's stepfather was the king of OCD. He had a ritual for everything. He used to drive me nuts. When he came to visit, he would insist that we follow his 'rules'. He'd spend half the time he was there going around the house tweaking things to his liking. We stopped visiting him after awhile because it really stressed him out to have people interupting his routines. My mother-in-law was well trained and did everything the same way he did.

Here are a few examples:
  • He had the toilet paper roll thing. It had to go over the top. I used to flip it the other way, and it would be flipped back within 5 minutes. It was a little scary how often he must have checked that toilet paper roll to make sure it was pointing the right way.
  • He was obsessed with peanut butter jars. He had to be able to see through the peanut butter jar so he could tell how much peanut butter was left in the jar. One time I plunged my knife into a jar of peanut butter and he let out an audible gasp. He proceeded to take the jar from me, lecture me about how I was doing it wrong, and scrape the sides of the jar down so he could see the level of the peanut butter. It took him about 1/2 hour to get it perfect.
  • He would keep old bread bags and use them to double wrap his bread. The ritual was 1 bread bag containing the bread, spin and fold over the flap, 2 twist ties around that bag. This would be inserted into another bread bag in the oposite direction which was also sealed with a spin, a fold over, and 2 more twist ties. When he made toast he would unwrap his bread, take out a slice, and rewrap it again. The bread couldn't be left open for any period of time. It took like 5 minutes to get a piece of bread.
  • He would insist that when you drank from a glass, the glass had to be refilled with water and placed back into the sink until it could be washed.
  • He used to wax his bathroom tiles with car wax. He kept a squeegie in the shower so he could squeegie down the walls after using the shower. He hated water droplets.
  • He used to take his car apart about once a year for a thorough cleaning. He'd actually pull out the seats. It would take him about a week to do the entire car. This wasn't a show car or anything. He only had 1 car, so he'd have to plan to not drive while he was doing this.
  • When we would eat breakfast at his house he would always yell at me becuase I didn't use enough milk on my cereal. It was a real problem for him. I never realized how important the milk to cereal ratio was until I met him.
  • He died a few years ago and we helped clean out his house. It was then that we discovered dozens of boxes of plasic grocery bags that he had saved. They were neatly folded, packed in bundles, and sorted by store. Each bundle had a post-it note attached detailing the store and the size of the bag.

He was a very nice guy, but it must have been exhausting to have to go through life like that.

My wife's stepfather was the king of OCD. He had a ritual for everything. He used to drive me nuts. When he came to visit, he would insist that we follow his 'rules'. He'd spend half the time he was there going around the house tweaking things to his liking. We stopped visiting him after awhile because it really stressed him out to have people interupting his routines. My mother-in-law was well trained and did everything the same way he did.

Here are a few examples:
  • He had the toilet paper roll thing. It had to go over the top. I used to flip it the other way, and it would be flipped back within 5 minutes. It was a little scary how often he must have checked that toilet paper roll to make sure it was pointing the right way.
  • He was obsessed with peanut butter jars. He had to be able to see through the peanut butter jar so he could tell how much peanut butter was left in the jar. One time I plunged my knife into a jar of peanut butter and he let out an audible gasp. He proceeded to take the jar from me, lecture me about how I was doing it wrong, and scrape the sides of the jar down so he could see the level of the peanut butter. It took him about 1/2 hour to get it perfect.
  • He would keep old bread bags and use them to double wrap his bread. The ritual was 1 bread bag containing the bread, spin and fold over the flap, 2 twist ties around that bag. This would be inserted into another bread bag in the oposite direction which was also sealed with a spin, a fold over, and 2 more twist ties. When he made toast he would unwrap his bread, take out a slice, and rewrap it again. The bread couldn't be left open for any period of time. It took like 5 minutes to get a piece of bread.
  • He would insist that when you drank from a glass, the glass had to be refilled with water and placed back into the sink until it could be washed.
  • He used to wax his bathroom tiles with car wax. He kept a squeegie in the shower so he could squeegie down the walls after using the shower. He hated water droplets.
  • He used to take his car apart about once a year for a thorough cleaning. He'd actually pull out the seats. It would take him about a week to do the entire car. This wasn't a show car or anything. He only had 1 car, so he'd have to plan to not drive while he was doing this.
  • When we would eat breakfast at his house he would always yell at me becuase I didn't use enough milk on my cereal. It was a real problem for him. I never realized how important the milk to cereal ratio was until I met him.
  • He died a few years ago and we helped clean out his house. It was then that we discovered dozens of boxes of plasic grocery bags that he had saved. They were neatly folded, packed in bundles, and sorted by store. Each bundle had a post-it note attached detailing the store and the size of the bag.

He was a very nice guy, but it must have been exhausting to have to go through life like that.
I've read this post about five times and I still don't see what he did that's so strange.....
;)

Here are a few examples:

Wow! I'm no professional but, I'm ruling that as OCD.

OK, I've got another. I had no idea that the TP would be so popular. I thought it was just me.

When I'm putting chapstick on, I have to turn it so that the product is raised well above the plastic dispenser. When I'm done with it, I have to turn it so that it's well below the lip of the dispenser before returning the cap. I can't explain it but that's just the way it has to be. Anybody else do this?

Ok, I have a few...

1. Food on my plate can not touch. Do not hand me a plate with pancakes or waffles that has had syrup poured that could possibly get on eggs, sausage, bacon, etc. The exception to this is a dish I make boiling potatoes, saurkraut, and keilbasa together. I will serve my plate and methodically seperate everything, then take a bite with the right amount of each combined in one bite.

2. Toothpaste or anything in a tube absolutely must be squeezed from the top of the tube and made even.

3. Dishwasher loading has a very specific way it must be done, specifically silverware has to be evenly distributed in the silverware basket to make sure one section doesn't have more items than any other.

4. Dishes, pots, pans etc. must be put away in a specific way as well so I usually handle that all myself. I used to try and make the kids do it, but I spent more time re-doing it and have taken over again.

The only one I can think of has to do with how I'm sleeping. I sleep on my side. If I get up to use the restroom or whatever in the middle of the night, I have to lay back down on the opposite side. I cannot get comfortable if I lay back down on the other side.

Here are a few examples:

I can guarantee you that it was exhausting. That's actually pretty severe OCD. Imagine though how hard it was for him. He almost assuredly realized this was not normal action, but did not have much choice about it. His condition was so severe that family had to stop visiting him.

I can guarantee you that it was exhausting. That's actually pretty severe OCD. Imagine though how hard it was for him. He almost assuredly realized this was not normal action, but did not have much choice about it. His condition was so severe that family had to stop visiting him.

He was the cleanest person I ever met. When we cleaned out his house we discovered that he was a hoarder, but he was so organized that noone ever knew. Everything was boxed up and labeled. It was only when you opened the boxes and found 50 bottles of the same shampoo purchased 10 years earlier that you realized he had some issues.

The sad part was that he had my mother-in-law so plugged into his 'system' that she couldn't function without him. She was incapable of making a decision without him being there to direct her. She died about a year after he did. She was in perfect heath, but she totally lost it mentally once we removed her from the environment they'd created.

He was the cleanest person I ever met. When we cleaned out his house we discovered that he was a hoarder, but he was so organized that noone ever knew. Everything was boxed up and labeled. It was only when you opened the boxes and found 50 bottles of the same shampoo purchased 10 years earlier that you realized he had some issues.

The sad part was that he had my mother-in-law so plugged into his 'system' that she couldn't function without him. She was incapable of making a decision without him being there to direct her. She died about a year after he did. She was in perfect heath, but she totally lost it mentally once we removed her from the environment they'd created.

That's terribly sad. What's interesting is that literature on how to treat OCD is very clear that family and friends should not get involved in the obsessions as it only worsens the condition. It's very hard to not want to involve other people, and for friends and family it's equally as hard to not get involved when you think that you can make them feel better just by helping them with their rituals/compulsions.

Mine is putting everything back where it goes. To this day, my Wife is amazed that I can get dressed in total darkness, get my keys, wallet, etc. and be ready to go to work in less than 15 minutes before stepping out of the room.
To mess with me, She has re-arranged things a very few times on me. In over 13 years of marriage, I have only misplaced my keys once and (back when we still used it) the checkbook once.

OTOH, She often has to get search party going for Her keys, wallet, jacket, glasses or whatever because She cannot remember where She left them last.

I don't care which way the TP rolls.
Toothpaste tubes must be carefully squeezed and flattened.
Food can touch, in fact it's going to mixed in my stomach, I don't think it hurts to mix on the plate!

My wierdest OCD Quirk - I cannot tolerate grease/oils/lotions on my hands. I can gut a fish, butcher a moose and dig up clams in heavy glacial silt while eating a sammich at the same time and those things do not bother me. I can't stand having to use lotions. My Wife, God Bless Her! She thanks me very, very well, when I have to 'put the lotion on Her skin'.

Your are all nuts! TP I can see, I'm a mechanic certain fasteners need to be properly alined but thats about it.

sexy_sand_butts_08.jpg

I agree with the lotion thing. Sunscreen makes me absolutely nuts too.

I have a thing about having something to drink by me at all times. It could be water, coffee, coke, beer. It doesn't matter. As long as I have it nearby to sip on. Half the time I don't even finish it, but it's gotta be within arms reach. My desk is littered with empty diet coke bottles.

Someone mentioned checkbooks. I am super anal about knowing exactly where my money is, and how much is there at all times. I check my accounts daily. Back when people balanced checkbooks every month, I'd spend 3 hours tracking down a $.35 difference in my account. My wife, on the other hand, would just round everything up or down. It drove me nuts. I balanced her checkbook for the first time ever, and she had about $300 she didn't even know was in there. I just can't live like that. It's insane! :D

Speaking of money, here's another one of my preferences that my wife considers weird, but I think it's weird not to do it.
I make sure my bills are arranged in my wallet from largest to smallest. $20, $10, $5, $1 (for example)
They also must all be facing forward and all bent or folded edges must be straightened out. This doesn't just apply to my wallet only, I do it anytime I'm stacking bills together- handing over cash for payment, bank deposit, etc.

Speaking of money, here's another one of my preferences that my wife considers weird, but I think it's weird not to do it.
I make sure my bills are arranged in my wallet from largest to smallest. $20, $10, $5, $1 (for example)
They also must all be facing forward and all bent or folded edges must be straightened out. This doesn't just apply to my wallet only, I do it anytime I'm stacking bills together- handing over cash for payment, bank deposit, etc.

Im the same way with organizing my wallet largest to smallest. Dont care if they have folded edges or anything, just need to be able to get cash quick and easy.

I have to load the silverware in the utensil basket in the dishwasher separated by type. All spoons go together, all forks together, etc.

The rest of the stuff is a little whacky, but this is practical. Makes it easier to put silverware away.

Again, practical, not crazy.

The only one I can think of has to do with how I'm sleeping. I sleep on my side. If I get up to use the restroom or whatever in the middle of the night, I have to lay back down on the opposite side. I cannot get comfortable if I lay back down on the other side.

I am exactly the same way. Get up to deal with the boy or hit the bathroom, I double check which side when I lay down. If I get it wrong, I have to stand up then lay back down.

Me too. That comes from working retail. All bills must be aligned correctly, facing the same way. That way I can spot the difference.

hahaha... I just watched this video and had to post it. Talk about OCD! Or maybe it's straight up paranoia, regardless, it's entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:

You hit one of mine Homer. My wife does this and it drives me crazy. I pick up a spoon and it has crusty peanut butter on it because she put another spoon right on top of it in the dishwasher.

I also agree with the TP thing. Should unroll from the top, always.

Haven't seen TSA on here in a while!

He's got a whole series of different videos out there to enjoy. This is probably one of his best, though.

OK, I've got another. I had no idea that the TP would be so popular. I thought it was just me.

When I'm putting chapstick on, I have to turn it so that the product is raised well above the plastic dispenser. When I'm done with it, I have to turn it so that it's well below the lip of the dispenser before returning the cap. I can't explain it but that's just the way it has to be. Anybody else do this?

Ha, I discussed this thread tonight with the bartender at the hotel I'm staying at and he says he does the same thing with the chapstick. Small world it is when it pertains to OCD type behavior. :)

I prefer TP over the top...but I don't think I've ever gone so far as to change it.

I do have some unusual quirks, however...

If unloading the dishwasher I routinely check for caked & dried on food that no-one even thought about getting off before loading.

I can't go for more than one, maybe two weeks without feeling a need to pick up several pairs of dirty socks other family members left laying around the family room.

For some reason it kinda bothers me when someone opens a package of food that we'll likely need to keep on hand for awhile by ripping a huge gaping hole in it so that the zip lock seal is pointless and there's no way to close it with a twist tie. This usually seems to involve foods that go stale fairly quickly or that are messy & need to be contained.

If the vacuum cleaner has been sitting out in the same spot for more than a few days and I put it away it just doesn't feel right when someone tells me they were going to use it.

I may need counseling but I'll settle for a pint or two.

I prefer TP over the top...but I don't think I've ever gone so far as to change it.

If unloading the dishwasher I routinely check for caked & dried on food that no-one even thought about getting off before loading.

I can't go for more than one, maybe two weeks without feeling a need to pick up several pairs of dirty socks other family members left laying around the family room.

For some reason it kinda bothers me when someone opens a package of food that we'll likely need to keep on hand for awhile by ripping a huge gaping hole in it so that the zip lock seal is pointless and there's no way to close it with a twist tie. This usually seems to involve foods that go stale fairly quickly or that are messy & need to be contained.

If the vacuum cleaner has been sitting out in the same spot for more than a few days and I put it away it just doesn't feel right when someone tells me they were going to use it.

Dude, this isn't OCD. This is parenthood.

Kids are filthy little monsters, aren't they?

Dude, this isn't OCD. This is parenthood.

Kids are filthy little monsters, aren't they?

Yes they are but no-one in my house is a kid anymore.

I'm sure I have my own faults that drive others up the wall but, thankfully, I'm blind to them.

Another non-OCD (I think) condition I have is that I generally sneeze several times in a row. Four times is about the norm. If I only sneeze twice I'll get a look like, "Well? Are you done?" If I sneeze only once they'll ask if I'm okay.

I think you might be lost. This is the thread for OCD/weird preferences. Come back when you're rolling up the cord to put up the vacuum no more than 2 seconds after the person vacuuming has turned it off. ;)

Ya, I've got the dishwasher-loading OCD, too. And what's interesting is that nobody...NO BODY...in the family will put anything in the dishwasher! It always goes in the sink so that Dad will put it in the washer. But hey...the dishes all come out sparkling clean!

Then, there is the clothes dryer! When I empty it, the clothes are put on hangers, as necessary, all going in the same direction! That way, the shirts, sweatshirts and sweaters all hang in the same direction! Makes sense to me.

I have a money clip for folding money of $10 or less. The singles ALWAYS go on the outside, followed by the fives, and then the tens. Anything larger goes in my wallet...but like others, the creased corners are straightened and the bills are all facing the same direction.

And I sure wish SWMBO would be a bit MORE OCD about the refrigerator. I can NEVER find anything in there, and I absolutely REFUSE to go in any of our THREE freezers!

glenn514:mug:

Back