Top Cropping WLP002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstar26t

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Reaction score
So I brewed the CYBI Mission Street Pale Ale this past Sunday and planned to pitch top cropped yeast from it into the Union Jack recipe. This is what I harvested last night...almost nothing (click it):

There is a slight dusting of yeast after sitting in the fridge overnight. What a waste of time. I thought there would be a nice slurry. The krausen just turned to beer once it settled in the erlenmeyer (I later transferred it to the mason jar shown). A lot of braun hefe came out with the krausen though, so maybe not a complete waste of time.

So I brewed the CYBI Mission Street Pale Ale this past Sunday and planned to pitch top cropped yeast from it into the Union Jack recipe. This is what I harvested last night...almost nothing (click it):

There is a slight dusting of yeast after sitting in the fridge overnight. What a waste of time. I thought there would be a nice slurry. The krausen just turned to beer once it settled in the erlenmeyer (I later transferred it to the mason jar shown). A lot of braun hefe came out with the krausen though, so maybe not a complete waste of time.

from my limited experience of top cropping, sometimes you need to give a try 2 or 3 times after you get to "clean" yeast. the first couple attempts can hav a lot of trub.

Back