Popping Airlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewzilla

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as over-oxygenating the wort? I bought the "oxynater" and have been aerating with pure oxygen and since I have krausen coming through the airlocks and blowing tops off my carboys along with very aggressive fermentation. Is this common?

How long did you let the O2 run for? I don't have an O2 system, and have still had blow-offs. They're common, especially on big beers, or when you pitch on a yeast cake. Get a blow off tube and that will solve the problem.

I just let the O2 run until the foam hit the top of the fermenter, like the directions indicated. It was like a volcano coming out of the carboy. I'll look into blowoff tubes, Thanks.

The simplest is just a 1'' vinyl tube (or whatever diameter fits snug) that you put into the neck of the carboy. Then put the other end of the tube in a pitcher or bowl of water.

To answer the first question, no. There is a limit to how much O2 the wort will absorb (about 33 ppm). But reaching that limit makes for strong ferments. So, I'd have to agree that you really have a blow-off control problem.

Back