March Pump Priming Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montanaandy

Reaction score
I am using 2 x Rubbermaid round coolers (1 as HLT & 1 as MLT) and a 6 gal aluminum BK to heat the HLT water & boil. I want to pump the water for the HLT/mash/sparge from the BK (which does not have a valve) to the HLT. I read the prior posts re: priming problems and I have been able to get the pump primed and operational - provided I hook the tubing on the input of the pump to the open spigot on the Rubbermaid and run some water through it. If I then disconnect the tubing from the spigot and place it in the BK with the priming established, the priming remains and I am able to pump. However this is a PITA and I want to find an easier way to prime the pump so that I can just drop the input tubing into the BK and pump into the HLT. I know to have the BK above the level of the pump and such. Any suggestions? Thanks, Montanaandy

Try mounting the pump verticaly head down, this will let most of the air out of the pump head and make priming easier. Since the motor is on top liquid travelling down the outside of the hoses during hose swaps, runs off the pump head, not down into the motor. Another trick is to fire the pump in short steps to kick the air out of the impeller and into the discharge hose to prime.

Back