Same recipe ordered from BM's warehouse vs LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With the 10% off and after paying for shipping I spent 1 cent more online from Brewmaster's Warehouse. Of course I didn't have to deal with any jerkoffs or drive anywhere which makes the diff even greater.

I just think that's pretty funny.

Ya, at this point the only thing LHBS's have going for them are 1) convenience (if they are close) and 2) customer service. Doesn't look like they are supplying either in your case!

There's something to be said for supporting your local home brew shop because it's your local home brew shop. I get most of my ingredients at mine, even though I could save a couple dollars buying online because I want them to be there when I need something the day I brew. Some things they don't carry or things I can get a major deal on for a one-time purchase, I go online.

l would be paying 30-50% MORE to shop at my LHBS than say a place like BMW, so the choice is easy.

I am all for supporting a local business, but not when they arent supporting me in turn. If they want to bend me over, the feeling is mutual.

Ya, at this point the only thing LHBS's have going for them are 1) convenience (if they are close) and 2) customer service. Doesn't look like they are supplying either in your case!

That may be true for some, but certainly not all. I can get a lot of things cheaper at one of my LHBS's than on-line, but I will admit that they don't have the same selection.

-a.

I try to always support my LHBS, but they are great peeps,and always willing to help me out. but its a nice 40 min. drive one way if I dont get caught in traffic.

pretty sweet for a crappy state like Oklahoma. :drunk:

High Gravity Brew. made the drive today for my brew this weekend.

if they suxd i would use the online places.

Doesn't the LHBS have to pay rent for a retail space? And employee's to run the store at convenient hours to meet customer needs.

If you are a volume purchaser you should talk to the owner about a discount so you can purchase what you need locally. They most likely would rather have a small profit than none at all.

If they give you rude, crappy indifferent service than that is another story.

I have four sources within 30 minutes of me. One has crappy selection and service, another has a decent selection, high prices and sometimes good service, another has almost everything, a range of good to bad prices and the final one has a good selection, outrageously good service - will accommodate you almost 24/7 (seems like) and the best prices of all. They even deliver if you order enough. Wonder who I use most?

In Chattanooga, TN, there is NO LHBS. It sucks horribly, but luckily Brewmaster's in GA ships to me in one day from online order with their flat-rate shipping. This wouldn't be possible if they weren't on the ball with getting things out the door. Highly recommended from me! cheers!

I like to support my LHBS whenever possible. Both the owner and the other staff are friendly and helpful. Only problem is they're never f***ing open! I got tired of going there and pulling on a locked door.
Ed has been amazing, the selection and prices rock, and he has excellent customer service. I just got 100lbs of grain and a barley crusher from BMW shipped for cheaper than my LHBS has just the grain for, and I didn't have to consult miss cleo to figure out when they would be open to take my order. I can't say enough about BMW. He will get all the business I can afford to give him.

The thing that LHBSs have going for them is supporting your local brewing commmunity. My two nearest LHBS are meeting locations for local homebrew clubs. Also I get a 5% discount for being a member of said club. Actually, looking at the prices, my nearest LHBS is cheaper than BrewMasters Warehouse. At least for the stuff I buy regularly.

My LHBS charges at least double if not triple for everything. He just recently dropped his hops prices by $1.50 / ounce down to $4.50. Yes, before he felt so generous he was charging $6 per ounce. I pay 1.25 / ounce mail order.

But at least his hours are really short and his selection is not big enough to trouble me with any options.

Aside from that he is great, and he has remembered me by name from the first time I went in his store. I do like the guy, but I buy as little from him as I possibly can.

I like to support my LHBS whenever possible. Both the owner and the other staff are friendly and helpful. Only problem is they're never f***ing open! I got tired of going there and pulling on a locked door.

Bob does have the store on some odd hours, I'll give you that. But he's a great guy and is a big supporter of FOAM. Are you a member?

He gives a nice discount for club members. :D

... a big supporter of FOAM. Are you a member?

No, unfortunately they meet on Monday nights, which conflicts with my schedule. I have been to a Saturday event held at the store though and met some of the members. Everyone was super cool. Bob is great, and the prices, although high, are not outrageous. I just don't find the hours to be convenient enough, and Ed has been very supportive of customers, and this community in particular, so I don't feel guilty going to him.

Back