temp fluctionations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
I posted part of this earlier in the month. I brewed a wheat extract back on Dec 4th with the og around 1.050 or a little higher. I brewed this while out of state at another house we own and the temp dropped down in the low to mid '50s range.
Around the last of december it was still bubbling a little so I transferred to a secondary (don't ask me why) and let it finish til Jan 16th. Again the temps fluctuated. This is my question....how critical are temp control in extract brewing and what can I expect from this wheat in taste? FG was 1.010 and I bottled it on the 16th. Guess I shoulda bought a blanket heater for it huh?

no difference between fermentation temp issues between extract and AG. the impact depends on the yeast strain. if it's the weihenstephaner strain, it will ferment down into the low 60s. into the 50s it probably flocculated out, but then started back up if you warmed it up again.

temp control is pretty important. a temp controller and some kind of brew belt or heating blanket around your fermenter to precisely control the temp would help you a lot.

Low temperatures can be a problem, but most of the time the problem will be not reaching the target gravity because the yeast goes dormant. Very long ferments (with an ale yeast) can develop a musty flavor. If it tastes okay at this point, it's good.

Hmm,1st I've heard of this. I've had ales in primary for 5 weeks,some folks even longer,& the flavor was fine. Maybe if the extract used was already borderline old when brewed?

Latest posts

Back