drilling through a fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenc_hmfc

Reaction score
hi, is it safe to drill through a fridge wall? i am looking to run my beer lines through the fridge wall to a tap but i dont know if it is safe to drill through the wall?
thanks

Depends on the fridge. Give us a brand name and model number and perhaps someone here would have experience with it.

You can try carefully drilling a small hole but barely penetrate the surface. The fridge's lines are more likely to be near the inner wall. If you have drill collars, one would help. Once you have the hole, probe around with a piece of wire. If you can't feel anything but insulation, go for it.

Not usually a Red Green fan but I remember I once saw him build one and he said.

"The important thing is to drill in the exact right place with surgical like precision using a composite diamond bit. But first you have to start a pilot hole." He then pulls out a 10 lb. pickaxe and two hands the fridge door with it.

I still chuckle about that.

Rudeboy

Rudeboy said:
Not usually a Red Green fan but I remember I once saw him build one and he said.

"The important thing is to drill in the exact right place with surgical like precision using a composite diamond bit. But first you have to start a pilot hole." He then pulls out a 10 lb. pickaxe and two hands the fridge door with it.

I still chuckle about that.

Rudeboy
I love that show. :D

yes it does have some kind of grill type thing that covers most of the back, heres some pics

DSCN0282.jpg

DSCN0283.jpg

Stay back from the face that the door seals as the manufacturers have a sense of humor and run a 1/4" line from the condensor on the inside face where the door seals. This is known as the yoder loop which is meant to keep the door seal area from sweating during operation. Pop the inner liner loose and you can usually use a piece of coat hanger to probe the insulation to find the tubing before drilling. This was a lesson learned the hard way as i drilled a hole from the side and found the line after puncturing it, then had to spend a couple hours making the repairs.

Latest posts

Back