Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbpatter

Reaction score
I brewed a Christmas Ale on Saturday and the directions say to add two cinnamon sticks and an ounce of ginger root with 5 minutes left in boil. My question is, should I keep the cinnamon and ginger in the beer during fermentation, or will that make the two favors too strong?

Thanks in advance

I brewed a Christmas Ale on Saturday and the directions say to add two cinnamon sticks and an ounce of ginger root with 5 minutes left in boil. My question is, should I keep the cinnamon and ginger in the beer during fermentation, or will that make the two favors too strong?

Thanks in advance

I make a christmas as well with a couple of cinnamon sticks and 1/2 oz of ginger. I leave them in during fermentation and love the flavor. I did a batch one year with a whole oz of ginger and it was a bit much. If you were really worried about too much, I would take the ginger out before fermentation. Either way, it will be fine I am sure.

I am making one I hope is similar to Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I emailed someone at the brewery with my recipe and they recommended putting the ginger and cinnamon in for the entire 60 minutes and then remove it at flameout as this is what they do at GL. I just ordered my ingredients for two batches of this so I plan on making my first batch the way GL reccomended and then see how that turns out and make adjustments if neccessary for my second batch...

Let us know what you decided to do and how it turned out.

I decided to add to cinnamon sticks and maybe a 1/2 ounce of ginger. I figure I will see what happens.

Back