How essential is covering the bottom of a keggle mashtun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
That is, do I need to spring for the 15" false bottoms with a hinge to get maximum coverage over the bottom?

Do people with smaller false bottoms have a lot of complaints about grain getting underneath? Does the fact I have a pump and plan to do a nice recirc before running off help?

The key is to have the grain completely filtered. If you have the gaps between your false bottom and cooler edge, you might as well not have a false bottom. The point is to put some type of filter medium over the pickup tube.

You are going to need something to filter the the wort from the grain. Even if you do a long vourlaf, you would just be sucking grain in with out something.
I just used my 15" false bottom I got from jaybird for the first time on Monday, it worked like a charm!

The key is to make sure your direct flame is not hitting an area of static thick mash. You only want it hitting liquid mash if you are using recirculation to prevent scorching.

The key is to make sure your direct flame is not hitting an area of static thick mash. You only want it hitting liquid mash if you are using recirculation to prevent scorching.

That's the info I needed! Looks like I'll go with the full 15" FB from jaybird with the diptube.

Thanks all.

I ordered the 10" flat FB from HomeBrewStuff and am now wondering if I should have gone larger.

I am in the middle of a Brutus type system so I will be recircing my mash tun.

I ended up going with the full 15" from Jaybird. I didn't ever want to have to worry about knocking the screen loose.

Awesome customer service BTW. The person who welded on my coupler twisted it a little so it didn't point to the exact center of the keggle. No problem, Jay just drilled the dip tube hole .25" offset. Problem solved.

Latest posts

Back