"Oh, I don't like dark beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made an American pale ale at the beginning of summer. One person in particular who really like Budweiser said, "Wow, it's like a Bud or one of those but better." My homebrew heart fluttered.

The Gordon biersch next door makes a schwarzbier that is fantastic. I believe it's their lowest abv regular offering and has a very thin mouthfeel. Makes me wishi could lager

You just need to have a nice non-dark beer that these people can appreciate.Preferably one that confroms to their expectations of minimal bitterness and being low in calories. Like Berliner Weisse.

Bottled alcohol gravy...now that's a product I could get behind.

Reminds me of a place in Southie (South Boston) that for Thanksgiving Day, they make a turkey and for every x0z. is equivalent to a shot of vodka, lol. :drunk:
I love me a lot of gravy on my birds.

Maybe someone should make a super light beer, for their BMC friends, and make it super hoppy, so catch them off guard! :cross:

when yuengling came to ohio it was funny to see the reaction people had. I buy it as my go to cheap beer these days. Way better than bud, same price. Buying at a local small supermarket and the cashier is eyeing it all funny.

Him: "what is that?"
me: "yuengling lager."
him:"its pretty dark. I don't know if i could drink a beer that dark."
me: "try it, its really not bad. Whats the worst that could happen?"
him: "i don't think so. Its probably too thick for me"me: :/

what do they think dark beer is? Bottled alcohol gravy?

twss

Reminds me of a place in Southie (South Boston) that for Thanksgiving Day, they make a turkey and for every x0z. is equivalent to a shot of vodka, lol. :drunk:
I love me a lot of gravy on my birds.

Maybe someone should make a super light beer, for their BMC friends, and make it super hoppy, so catch them off guard! :cross:

Yeah but then that beer must be skunked! :D

Bachelor_Chow.jpg

The comparisons to food in this thread made me think of this.

Now with Flavor!

Gameface said:
You can get beer pretty dark without using any roasted grains that provide that roasty bitterness.
Look up Sinamar.
sweed said:
I've had plans for this. Make several beers that taste nothing like they look. A black beer with pilsner malt, carafa special, and a noble hop; another with pilsner, maybe corn or rice, and hop it like a DIPA. Maybe another similar that is black and hoppy, like a CDA.

ludomonster said:
I'm planning to make a beer so dark that when you stare into it, it stares into you. It will be the color of loneliness and taste like dread.

dawes???;)

I like your thinking.

The point is not to Make a dark colored beer that is favorless, so that these people will like it, the need is for these people to try a few dark beers until they get used to what they taste like, and realize that they like it!

There's nothing wrong with dark beers, after all according to Robin Williams the game of golf was invented by men in a pub drinking Guinness

pigsaarz said:
There's nothing wrong with dark beers, after all according to Robin Williams the game of golf was invented by men in a pub drinking Guinness

It was probably The Macallan, though. Since they were Scots. ;)

I get annoyed at people that assume dark beers have too many calories and are too strong. Im really not sure where the aversion to alcohol content comes from.

In the case of my friends and family, guineas was the cause of the dislike. They automatically associate dark beers with guiness.

Why is it that when I tell people I brew, and like assertively flavored beer, this is the response I get? (rhetorical question)

It's especially amusing because I mostly brew IPA's

I figure such a choice on their part means more for me. :mug:
Regards, GF.

Thank god this stereotype barely exist in Chile, most people I know like "dark beer", even the local equivalents of BMC from time to time make dark beers.

I'm thankful that I was introduced to beer at a local microbrewery, and my first beer was a great milk stout. The only beer I tried that night I didn't like was a hefeweizen, which I can't stand to this day. I think it gave me a more open mind about beer styles.

I find the aversion to dark beer more amusing than frustrating. "You're drinking Guinness with a meal? That's like 2 meals!" Sure...

My wife is one of those who doesn't like dark beer. Many years ago she fell in love with Shiner Bock from the bottle. When she got a pint of it at a bar she quit drinking it because she doesn't like dark beer. She used to love my oatmeal stout, but only if I served it in a German krug so she couldn't see the color. It's a purely psychological reaction, not something I've ever even attempted to make her understand. She drinks what she likes, period.

My wife is one of those who doesn't like dark beer. Many years ago she fell in love with Shiner Bock from the bottle. When she got a pint of it at a bar she quit drinking it because she doesn't like dark beer. She used to love my oatmeal stout, but only if I served it in a German krug so she couldn't see the color. It's a purely psychological reaction, not something I've ever even attempted to make her understand. She drinks what she likes, period.

Apparently she drinks what she thinks she likes...not what she actually likes.

Feel bad for you...I'm sure this is the tip of the iceberg as far as irrational BS this woman puts you through.

Xpertskir said:

Feel bad for you...I'm sure this is the tip of the iceberg as far as irrational BS this woman puts you through.

LOL. That is funny as hell!

If my wife was rational I'd be single and then who would I blame? She has the unique talent of doing nothing and still making all the mistakes. :D

If my wife was rational I'd be single and then who would I blame? She has the unique talent of doing nothing and still making all the mistakes. :D

Wow! I thought us husbands were the ones [blamed for] making all the mistakes.

My wife won't drink beer at all. It's uncommon that I can even get her to take a sip.... she doesn't seem to understand that there are thousands of different kinds of beer. Maybe I need to get her to try a Framboise.

The point of leaving it in a bottle is a good one. I'm not usually a fan of "dark" (I had the guinness experience) but I've pleasantly surprised myself on several occasions my leaving it bottled.

That is perfectly understandable!!!!!......If you are 4.

What's wrong with not liking dark beers?
I'm still extrememly new to drinking beer. But I've had 4 dark beers now and hated each one. The bitterness from the roasted grain was very off-putting.
Will I ever have a dark beer I like? Maybe, but I'm doubting it.

Have you tried a milk stout? Pick up a Left Hand Milk Stout and give that a try if you haven't already. Not bitter at all to me.

Why do you even try to please BMC drinkers. They eventually find out what crap have they been drinking all their lives. Those who don't die unhappy and sad without knowing how good a homebrew can taste:rockin:

Why do you even try to please BMC drinkers. They eventually find out what crap have they been drinking all their lives. Those who don't die unhappy and sad without knowing how good a homebrew can taste:rockin:

I find most BMC drinkers to be blissfully ignorant, not unhappy.

Though maybe that's not true... many of them drink to be drunk - which doesn't exactly shout "happy."

Personally, I've got an "untappd" drive to try many new and interesting beers . . . which isn't the cheapest hobby - so I can't entirely blame the BMCers for being cheap.

Back