To polish or insulate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im_Lars

Reaction score
I'm working on a E-Brew build and I polished two of the kegs (HLT & BP). I'm looking for some feed back on if I should polish the Mash tun or polish just the top and rap the main body of it in insulation? The system is going to be a HERMS system so I don't know how important the insulation would be. Maybe I'm looking for a bunch of people to tell me to insulate so I don't have to polish another keg.

polishedkegs1.jpg

Why polish the outside at all. on anything. Sure it looks pretty - but has zero effect on your beer.

Maybe I'm looking for a bunch of people to tell me to insulate so I don't have to polish another keg.

If you're just looking to get out of polishing another keg I'll be glad to take it off your hands.:mug: I'm in the middle of building a Brutus and thought about insulating the mash tun but decided to skip not to. I figure it'll be fine with the direct fired recirc seeing that it never really gets that cold here in the sound, plus polished kegs are just plain cool.

Those look really nice! Do you know if they stay nice after brewing on them for a while?

My future mash tun will be a keg, and it will definitely be insulated well. Planning on using some "reflectix" stuff, basically shiny bubble wrap.

Back