Layering Chocolate Malts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
I heard on one of Jamil's podcasts that he likes to go roughly half pale chocolate and half regular chocolate malts in his brown ales or other ales that call for chocolate malt. He says it adds a layer of complexity and a little toasty flavor. Anyone done this? Were you able to taste the difference, or is it a waste of time. We're talking around .25 lbs of each for around .5 pound total (about 5% of the grist) for the recipe.

no amount of brewing experimentation is a waste of time! try it and see, there will be a difference, but whether or not you notice, care, or even like it is something nobody can tell you. ;)

Hmm, interesting idea. I'm going to be doing a brown ale soon, I'll give it a shot.

For what it's worth - after I read your post I checked his book. I did not see any recipes where he actually does this.

If it was on a podcast, he probably recently figured out that it works [for him].

Haven't tried it yet. Pale chocolate is a relatively recent thing, but it makes as much sense as using 2-3 caramels in a brew. Maybe next time I do a Church of Chocolate brown.

I just did this Sunday with 0.5 lbs pale chocolate and 0.5 lbs reg. chocolate in a robust porter. (5 gal batch). Outside of some Crystal 40, there are no other dark malts. I'll give my results in a few weeks.

I use a little pale chocolate in several of my brews. It adds a toasty/coffee flavor and not so much "chocolate." It complements the chocolate and roast flavors found in Ambers, Browns and Stouts. I use 0.25 lb in my 5/4 Stout and recently used some in my Amber Ale.

Thanks for the feedback. Along those same lines, has anybody noticed a difference between 350L American Chocolate and 450L English Chocolate?

I notice a huge difference in the smell of the grain. The British smells much smoother (and better IMO), though whether that comes out in the taste I have no idea.

Latest posts

Back