Dry yeast that comes with Midwest Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blk94f150

Reaction score
Midwest's Irish Red extract is a huge hit at my house. I want to do it all grain now and can't remember what dry yeast they used.

I would just order the kit, but I can crush my own grain at my LHBS and I got 85% efficiency and would like to keep it that way.

Mike

I'm not really sure. You can email them at Midwestsupplies and I'm sure they'll give you an answer. They're always really helpful and friendly with emails.

Im pretty sure that unless you order the kit with a Wyeast or other yeast upgrade that they give you Munton's dry yeast, not sure on the strain though.

I just ordered the Irish Red from them, and they sent me a yellow packet of Munton's yeast.

If I were to be making an Irish Red, I would pretty much have to use White Labs 004 (Irish Ale). You should at leas consider giving this a try rather than the dry yeast.

I'm going to try some different styles later, but this beer as is is a hit at my bar.

I really want to get 10 gallon batches going to try two different yeast strains in separate 5 gallon carboys.

Mike

I am familiar with that kit, and would think that Safale US05 would go very nice that recipe.

I concur with the White Labs Irish Ale Yeast. Just made a batch--and excellent. Bread notes all over!

I think next batch will be the White Labs 004. I'll also do my first fermentation with temp control so between those two things, I should be set.

Mike

This yeast question is a good one. Most home brewers (particularly those who are fans of liquid yeast) swear that different yeast strains make significant differences in the finished product. Interestingly, I toured Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland a few weeks ago and the tour guide mentioned that they use only 3 different types of yeast: a lager, an ale, and a Belgian Wit ale. That's pretty amazing when you consider how many different varieties of beer they brew. My personal experience has been mixed. The best two brews I have made used SAF-Lager yeast.

Back