Unexpected blooms in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleLankyFrank

Reaction score
I racked this Porter extract batch off of a robust cake of Wyeast 1187 Ringwood. I thought I had transferred really clean, but in the last few days I have seen little white to off-white blooms on the surface. I have brewed this kit before and not seen this. It was tough to get pix through the bottle and I didn't want to take the stopper out, but these two photos indicate the rough scale and color of the blooms. :confused: Advice? ID?

Thanks, brethren!

batch10-001.jpg

batch10-002.jpg

Sniff the opening to see what it smells like. If you have a beer-thief take some out to sample. If it tastes good keep going. I had something like this on my last batch of stout in secondary. It was fine so I bottled and it turned out great. Likely these are clumps of yeast that haven't flocculated out yet.

I get this sometimes when I secondary. I bet if you rock(not shake) just rock the carboy once or twice you'd see it's very small co2 bubbles coming out of suspension.

Yup, just some CO2 being bumped out and bubbling up on the top, with maybe some yeast rafts or leftover krausen/trub. You're definitely 100% good.

Yup, just some CO2 being bumped out and bubbling up on the top, with maybe some yeast rafts or leftover krausen/trub. You're definitely 100% good.

Thanks everybody! I noticed last night that the air lock had some pressure in it, so i figure that has to be a good sign. That makes me even happier. Hopefully this will make for hearty carbonation i the bottle.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back