What is two row winter barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
A brewer/owner gave me the recipe to one of his beers that he always has on hand at his brewpub. Part of the recipe calls for "two-row winter barley". I do not know what that is. I called a local brew store and they said that it would be Maris Otter. Is that right?

As I've heard it there are two varieties of barley - Summer and winter

The kernels on the summer variety are much smaller and contain much more enzymes

I've heard that the summer varieties are mostly grown in the US and the winter varieties Europe

Not sure what the OP is asking but winter barley is typically planted in the fall to overwinter, they will not produce seeds if planted in the spring. Spring barley is planted in the spring. There are two row and six row varieties of each species I believe.

In the U.S. there are typically 3 species (cultivated) with 4 groups of 150 different varieties, appx. half of which are used in malting.

Back