First AG - Crap in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
Just a quick question, just did my first AG and its boiling away nicely, only problem is that there is some crap floating around in my fermenter (I think perhaps the hot break?) It seems natural, so Im not concerned about contamination, just wondering if anyone can verify what it is, as well as a suitable technique to rack the beer off of it once its fermented out, what do you guys use to filter it out?

Also it is floating around now due to vigorous yeast activity, im assuming it will drop to the bottom when the yeast is done?

:mug:

No worries, that's just yeast and probably a bit of hops and proteins. After the fermentation completes this "crap" will all fall down the bottom of the fermenter. When you're racking into your bottling bucket or keg, then just avoid sucking the stuff off the bottom and you'll be golden. No need to filter!

Oh, and congrats on the first AG! I'll drink to that :mug:!

Latest posts

Back