Lots of sediment in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRobb2

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch on Sunday night. It was an IPA that I let sit in primary for 3 weeks, no secondary.

I decided to take a look at some of the bottles today and noticed that they have lots of sediment floating around in them.

Is that normal or did I get too much yeast and other crap from the bottom in my beer?

Perhaps you could have been more careful, but I often see the same thing in my bottles. It will settle to the bottom in a week or two.

I also find that clarity is improved if I refrigerate the bottles for a week or so before drinking (after they are sufficiently carbed up, of course).

I plan on letting them sit for 3 weeks before popping the first one. I will probably refridgerate some of them a few days before drinking.

I used a bottling bucket to ferment. When it came time to bottling I siphoned to a regular bucket. I then cleaned the bottling bucket within a manner of minutes and siphoned back to it and bottled from there.

I would get another firmenting bucket or a carbouy. You don't want to transfer anymore than you have to so you can avoid excessive O2 before bottling. Two transfers right befor bottling could end up causing off flavors.

the problem with draining from primary with a spigot, is often that spigot is too low, and you suck a lot of trub and yeast cake out.

Learn to siphon, or just get an auto-siphon.

I bought a carboy today that I will be using for primary so that I can avoid this problem in the future. I appreciate the feedback.

Back