brown malt......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator

Reaction score
is brown malt the same as roasted barley - by way of AHB's description, i think it's close but not sure? i'm trying to put together my recipe for an RIS with vanilla (buying from austin hb) and the recipe i've come up w/ on beer tools isn't quite what i can find at AHB.

i'm at work, so finding the answer in a book won't help.

thanks

Brown malt is nothing like Roast Barley, first of all brown malt started as malt, roast barley started as raw barley. IMHO, the best thing to replace brown malt is to toast some up yourself, I do a 180 degree oven for 30-40 mins sturing it once at 15 mins, starting with some base malt, let it sit for a few days in a paper bag, then crush it.

If you don't have the means to crush, then maybe swap it out with special roast, which has a similar flavor, but really isn't that close. Brown malt is probably one of my fav specality malts, if gives a kind of nice toastyness with some chocolaty notes.

No, brown malt is kilned over a hardwood fire to about 60L. Rauch is probably the closest, since much of it is kilned over beechwood.

Use the brown malt if you can source it, you'll never go back after you've had a beer with brown malt in it. I think it brings a flavor to the beer that no other malt can provide.

Back