Double IPA and Yeast washing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ackgod

Reaction score
I have a Double IPA from NB that had an OG of 1.084 and after 3wks the primary it is at 1.020 - I was hoping to transfer this to my secondary for another month before bottle because I want to free up my carboy for another batch (gotta keep that pipeline full) but i didn't know if you guys thought it was still too soon to take it off the yeast cake (i pitched it onto a wyeast 1056 cake from a previous batch).

Second question: I tried to wash some yeast from a hefe that I made but was having pouring off the excess liquid when i first tried so i stuck the whole jar (probably 2 quart jar) in the fridge to let it settle out. I then proceeded to forget/ignore it for the last month and it settle out into a good inch layer of trub on the bottom, half inch of yeast, and 3 inches of liquid on top. My question is if this yeast is still good because i let it sit for so long before separating it from the trub and pouring the liquid off?

Thanks

On you Double IPA.
I would check the gravity for 2-3 days back to back if no change, bottle and brew your next batch
your attenuation for that beer is
75% apparent
60% real

which puts you at about 8.4% ABV, if anything it will have some malty sweetness to stand up against the hops and alcohol
how do the Hydrometer samples taste ?

as for your second question, I have no Clue !

-Jason

Back