How often should corny keg seals/gaskets be replaced? and? and?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdnjan

Reaction score
I have no idea how old these are 1st time around I got a good seal but this time no luck. Plus ran out of CO2
Is it safe to leave beer in there until I can get more CO2?
Because of the leak this time there is no pressure in it. Will be a few days before I can get more CO2. So ? is leave it in there or?

I know it is a bit of a waste of CO2 but how important is it to have a full corny to start? I only had enough beer to fill it halfway.

One more ? I always turn gas off if I won't be having any for a few days. The beer leaks out of the "out" should i just release some pressure or is that a waste and can it ruin the carb?

How long do you leave it all connected if you won't be drinking for a bit?

Sorry so many ? Its all new 2 me however first keg turned out Great
TIA
J

i replace my o-rings every time I aquire them. I dont trust what anyone sells me, for a couple of bucks I can get piece of mind that they are new. Don't settle for leaking beer from a post. First add some keg lube. If that doesnt work replace the poppets. I replace mine on a used one and it still leaked on the gas post. I added keg lube and no more leaks. I leave mine conected all the time. Test for leaks with starsan or soap and water. You can fill a keg up or only half way. I dont think you will waste much.

I think you run a good chance of oxidizing your beer to the point of spoilage without having CO2 head space. The carbonation is a different issue, as with a freshly filled keg you can just fill with 30lbs or so CO2 purge and refill to make sure the Oxygen is gone and leave sitting until you decide to carb & drink.

If it was me I would find a way to get CO2 or bottle it.

I replace my o-rings about once a year or so. I always use silicone on the posts and double edged ones on the tubes. I have about 24 kegs and I really don't rotate through all that fast, but they are so cheap at McMaster that it's just cheap insurance.

Oh, I only replace the lid o-ring if it's visibly damaged or doesn't feel pliable.

I do a complete tear down and clean each time I fill a keg. It's at that time that I inspect my o-rings for deformities, tears, etc. As long as they fit tightly and are in good condition I'll reuse them.

I only turn a gas line off if it's not attached to a keg. The main tank (50lbs) always stays on. Once a beer is on the gas it will stay there until the keg kicks.

Just dampen your fingers and rub a post o-ring. If anything rubs off, replace all of them. I go 3-4 years between rebuilds.

Back