how long to keep hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
All this talk about a hops shortage has me a little concerned about this new-found hobby. So naturally a couple question about storage:
How long will hops plugs and pellets keep if refridgerated?
Can they be frozen, and if so how long will they keep frozen?

chemist308 said:
All this talk about a hops shortage has me a little concerned about this new-found hobby. So naturally a couple question about storage:
How long will hops plugs and pellets keep if refridgerated?
Can they be frozen, and if so how long will they keep frozen?
Plugs and pellets wil keep for a long time frozen.. if packaged in vacuum sealed packages or in nitrogen purged they should keep for a while

I am currently using 18 month old leaf hops that were in a cabinet, they are doing fine with a 20% increase for the ones that were opened and hand purged.

I don't think the hop shortage will last forever, so I wouldn't be to concerned about it.

However, as stated they can last a long time if stored properly.

Vacuum seal them if you can. Freeze them for sure. I'm using 2 year old hop pellets that are kept frozen in their original 1oz. packages, with no problems. Leaf hops, frozen, I try to use within a year. If you buy in bulk, get a vacuum sealer.

Back