How Long Will It Take To Cool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2HomeBrew

Reaction score
Just iced my first kegged batch a few minutes ago. How long will it take to cool the beer to serving temperature?

Cheers!

I have been carbonating the beer at room temp of 77 degrees and 38 PSI in the keg for the last 10 days. I dropped the keg to 10 PSI and put the keg into a new trash can full of ice. Just wondering how long it will take the ice to cool the beer to serving temp.

Cheers

Not too long. An hour or so. I would be conserned about the carbonation level. 10 days at 38 is way too much. A couple days at 38 would be okay and then coast it up to serving pressure, but 10 days would be too long. I set mine at about 12 and it only takes a week to get carbonated.

Ahh, but there is the rub. I was carbonating a room temps of 77 degrees, from everything I have read and learned from this forum, you need a higher PSI when carbing at higher temps.

Cheers

I set mine at 20 and shake the heck out of it. I remove the gas and let it sit for a few days (5). Then I release the pressure and move to serving pressure 5psi. If I find that the bubbles are lacking or too heavy I start over and adjust accordingly.

Doing the math helps too.

- WW

New2HomeBrew said:
Ahh, but there is the rub. I was carbonating a room temps of 77 degrees, from everything I have read and learned from this forum, you need a higher PSI when carbing at higher temps.

Cheers
At room temp you will need a higher pressure, but not three times as much. It would only be a difference of a couple pounds.

- edit - Ok, I I'm completely wrong. I just checked a temp chart and you are about right. At 77 degrees, 38 lbs is about right for 2.3 volumes of CO2. Chill and serve.

My Bad :eek:

The tricky part comes when you are chilling. If I were you, I would remove the gas in disconnect from the keg when you start chilling. If you drop the reg pressure down to the pressure for 38 degrees when the beer is still hot, CO2 will want to come out of solution. In the worst case, you could get beer backing up into the regulater (38psi in the keg, 10psi on the reg). In theory, once the keg chills down, the beer and headspace will be at equilibrium at the lower pressure 10-12psi.

By the way, you'll chill it way faster if you add water to the ice. Even better, add rocksalt but then you run the risk of getting too cold.

Just had the first glass. I am pretty proud of my 1st batch. I dropped the pressure to 10 right before I put it into the ice. This seemed to work out pretty well. First I tried serving at 8 PSI and that was too much presure. Dropped it down to 4.5 PSI, and it came out perfect! I'm trying to get my photo site back up so that I can post a photo.

Cheers!

view_photo.php

Here it is...

Cheers:mug:

Well, I took the first keg which was my first batch ever to my band reherasal tonight. It was a huge success. My band mates all thought the beer was highly drinkable. I left with an empty keg if that is any indication. Can't wait to unleash my IPA this wekend which is my second batch. Thanks everyone for the sage advise!

Cheers:mug:

Back