Which Yeast for Coconut Porter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuse88

Reaction score
I had gotten the AHS Coconut Porter Kit for X-Mas, but unfortunately the person that bought it for me didn't refrigerate the yeast included, so I went out looking for a new one. I just called the local home brew store and they did not have the White Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP 002) in stock that was included in the kit.

These are the strains that they had, so which of these would make the best replacement:

WLP 013
WLP 004
WLP 007
WLP 013
WLP 041

The local shop said 041 may actually be a step up from the 002 (English Yeast) that was included. I am not to familiar with the effects of yeast on beer since this will be only my 3rd batch, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I can't help ya on your yeast selection, but I just put this on co2 last week. I left it in the primary for 3 weeks. I toasted 21 oz of unsweetened coconut and put in the keg with the beer(in a steeping bag). The coconut was more of a "chipped/flaked" style than the standard shredded type you normally find.

Anyhow - the 21oz left me thinking it was way overkill at first. The flavor was really strong/sweet and the beer tasted like german chocolate cake. Now that it's carbed up and been in the keg for a bit it tastes really nice and clean.

good luck!
~j

I decided on 007. I talked to the guy at the home brew store and the only issue he said I may have with 007 is a lower final gravity.

Back