Is there a problem with this method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberg1

Reaction score
After making a starter the other day with WLP001 I refilled the white labs tube alittle more than half way(after soaking the tube in starsan of course) and put it back in the fridge.

Is this okay to do? I plan on making another starter from it in a month or so and doing it again if it's a good method.

And if so can I assume the cell count Is close to the original 100b?

should be fine. make a starter with the vial and put some more in there for next time.thats what i do when practical.

I hate paying for liquid yeast every batch.

When I return from Iraq, I am making a freakin yeast bank and never again paying for a liquid yeast more than once!

What I mean to say is, keep sticking it to the man (chris white et al)!

Lumberg1 said:
After making a starter the other day with WLP001 I refilled the white labs tube alittle more than half way(after soaking the tube in starsan of course) and put it back in the fridge.

Is this okay to do? I plan on making another starter from it in a month or so and doing it again if it's a good method.

And if so can I assume the cell count Is close to the original 100b?

Not really. Or rather, it's impossible for anyone to tell based on this information, but it's unlikely. It's pretty easy to be off target quite a bit if you're just guessing at it.

What I do is create an initial starter with 100B cells more than I need, and before pitching, I mix the yeast up into suspension as nicely as possible, and pour off the correct proportion into the beer (or another vessel to be crash cooled and then decant if I don't want all that starter in the beer). Then I crash cool the remaining starter that I KNOW is very close to 100B cells, so that it can be decanted before pouring the remaining concentrated slurry into the vial.

emjay,

That makes alot of sense and seems MUCH more accurate then just guessing like I did. I will defiantly start doing it that way! Thanks for the advice!!

Latest posts

Back