Fightin' Urak-Hai Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburkh

Reaction score
Has anyone out there tried Palmer's recipe for Fightin' Urak-Hai Barley wine? I've been looking for a recipe and this one appeals to me. I'll go ahead and post it in case no one is familiar with it maybe I could atleast get some feed back. Thanks.

p.s. What's a good site for ordering cheap ingredients?

Fightin' Urak-Hai Barleywine
Malts Gravity Contribution
5 lbs. Wheat Malt Extract
8 lbs. Pale DME
1/2 lb. Special B Malt
1/2 lb. Chocolate Malt

BG for 4 Gallons 1.129
OG for 5 Gallons 1.103
Hops IBU Contribution
3 oz Columbus (10%) for 60 minutes
3 oz Nugget (12%) for 30 minutes
1 oz Columbus (10%) for 15 minutes

Total IBUs 106
Yeast Fermentation Schedule
American Ale
or English Ale

Pitch the entire dregs from a previous batch of beer, preferably from the Secondary Fermenter. Be sure to use blowoff tube in a 6.5 gal fermentor, this will be messy. 2 - 3 week Primary at 65°F, 1 - 3 month secondary. Bottle and condition for an additional 3 months before drinking.

that first set of 4 ambiguous numbers is the graviity contribution, and the second set is IBU's.

Funny you should mention this, I was just scanning through it. Never tried it though but it looks good. As far as cheap ingredients, good question. Shipping is always the killer with this stuff so your best bet is to find a LHBS within driving distance, make up a big order and pick it up. That, imo is the best route to go.

jburkh said:
What's a good site for ordering cheap ingredients?

You haven't listed your location in your profile, so it's hard to say.

Most places are competitive on ingredient prices, so the shipping becomes the deciding factor. A few that I like and use:

• Listermann.com: Good prices, good selection, the site is a little hard to navigate, but the customer service is top-notch. Once, they shipped me two kinds of bulk LME, and the descriptions had rubbed off so I couldn't tell which was which...so they shipped two new tubs free of charge. They have bulk canadian LME that I've had good luck with, for $2.10/lb. And best of all, if you're east of the Mississippi, orders over $35 get free shipping!
  • Austin Homebrew Supply: Flat $5.99 shipping. Appealing unless you're buying very small orders. Good ingredients, good supplies, good prices, good selection.
  • MoreBeer: Free shipping on orders over $59.00. Great selection...but long shipping times if you live on the east coast (they're in CA).

zoebisch01 said:
Funny you should mention this, I was just scanning through it. Never tried it though but it looks good. As far as cheap ingredients, good question. Shipping is always the killer with this stuff so your best bet is to find a LHBS within driving distance, make up a big order and pick it up. That, imo is the best route to go.

hehe, unless the closest is about an hour and a half away, and doesn't have a great grain selection. Then you're SOL, like me.

You can get around the shipping costs if you know how to play the game and you consolidate your orders. I get most of my stuff from Listermann, and I wait until I have $35 worth of stuff that I need.

Where to buy kindof depends on your brewing style.

I do AG and I don't have a mill, so AHBS really works for me, because...

--their grain costs are pretty low
--they don't charge to mill
--they sell fractional amounts os specialty grains, so you can get exactly the amount you need for a batch.

If I had a mill, these second two would not be important to me. Or, if you're an extract brewer, fond the best price on the form of extract you prefer.

Back