Pumpkin Spice in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berwick12

Reaction score
I scored around 25 free (new) organic pumpkins yesterday and felt like making a pumpkin beer.

I want to know what the range/amount is for spices to put in a pumpkin beer. I.E. slight spice flavor (1) - overpowering spice flavor (10). My goal is to make a lager with slight pumpkin, spice and orange flavor.

I brewed yesterday, 1st time since moving, couldn't find any of my spices and hops (had to use fuggles)except for orange peel. That got me pissed and thinking how much this will rock/suck without spices.

BTW - It was a PM - forget what I had for steeping grains, but I think it was a pilser malt and something else around 3.5 lbs
6 lb ex light dry malt.
3.75oz. - Saaz (60)
6.5# - Pumpkin / caramelized in oven for hour @ 350 (60)
1 oz - fuggles (15)
1 TSP - Irish Moss (15)
1 oz - fuggles (3)
1 packet sweet orange peel (3)

safale 23 - lager yeast
fermentation temp 58 deg

You can steep some spices in warm to hot water and make a spice "tea" to add.

Avoid clove- it is very easy to overdo and never fades.

If you do ground spice, you're looking at maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tsp for a noticeable nutmeg or cinnamon flavor. Other spices I'm not sure on.

I get McCormick Pumpkin Pie spice and use about 1 tsp for a 5 gallon batch. I put it in in the last 10 minutes- you could do it at flameout I guess. Everyone does it differently though.

Also, make sure those are the sweet pumpkins and not Jack-o-lantern pumpkins that you are going to put in the mash.

I've gotten best results using spices 5min left in the boil, in addition to a spice tea at bottling/kegging time. I would suggest doing a tea to taste at your bottling time.

Back