Someone save me! need to top off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
So, we've had a few beers and math was never my strong suit.

I just completed a boil with a target of 7 gallons at 1.043. I ended up with 5 gallons of 1.045. (not sure what happened, have to do a post-mortem)

I know it's close, but I'd like to get as much volume as I can and hit the gravity. How much CAN I top off to hit 1.043? I don't need to hit 7 gallons, but I'd like to be where I need to be for this recipe.

Yeah. Thanks. I realized the difference was probably miniscule, so I didn't bother.

I wonder why I lost almost three gallons to the process, however. I expected to lose about two.

Oh well, that's just the personality of this system, I guess.

The difference between 1.045 and 1.043 is meaningless.

5*((45/43) -1) ~= one pint

It's a huge difference when it's 2 gallons less ... unless of course those 2 gallons were just lost in the process and its really 5gallons at 1.045 and 2 missing gallons at 1.045, then its meaningless.

Well, I essentially hit my target OG. But came in two gallons lower than I expected. I'm a little concerned that my hop presence will be much stronger than planned. But we shall see.

I need to figure out where I lost so much volume.

Back