Is there any value in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctranchina

Reaction score
Yesterday, I received my new stir plate/flask but I didn't have any DME sitting around for my brew day today to get a starter going. Is there any value in putting my Wyeast pack in there for a spin until I'm ready to pitch it later (without the wort)?

No really value in doing that. Just make the yeast dizzy! Seriously though it wouldn't accomplish anything since the environment wouldn't be there to start cell multiplication. If you're definitely brewing you're better off just pitching the yeast directly and getting some DME for next time.

You will get in the habit of always having some DME around. A stir plate was one of the best brew investments I made.

In a pinch you can use Goya Malta. Search it here on the forum.

You will get in the habit of always having some DME around.

This is a pain to me. I believe I will start calculating my batch volumes so I have a few extra liters of wort around before boiling time. I should be able to freeze it, and then dilute the proper amount for a starter gravity for my next batch. Something fairly pedestrian, like a pale ale, should make a decent starter wort, and I can just continually replenish my supply as my brew schedule allows. I try to brew a cheap, easy-drinking beer every 2nd or third batch anyway, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

This is a pain to me. I believe I will start calculating my batch volumes so I have a few extra liters of wort around before boiling time. I should be able to freeze it, and then dilute the proper amount for a starter gravity for my next batch. Something fairly pedestrian, like a pale ale, should make a decent starter wort, and I can just continually replenish my supply as my brew schedule allows. I try to brew a cheap, easy-drinking beer every 2nd or third batch anyway, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

That's a good plan. I should do that. I only have 1 freezer though and my wife would frown on a gallon of wort in there, perpetually.

With a pressure cooker, you could sterilize that wort and keep it at room temp in a sealed container. That is my plan.

That's a good plan. I should do that. I only have 1 freezer though and my wife would frown on a gallon of wort in there, perpetually.

With a pressure cooker, you could sterilize that wort and keep it at room temp in a sealed container. That is my plan.

My wife keeps talking about getting in to canning so we can store a lot of the veggies we get from our CSA. I keep actively encouraging her mostly so I can use the canning stuff for canning wort to have on hand for starters.

I make a starter for all my liquid yeasts and I do not have a stir plate. I oxygenate my starter with pure O2 before I pitch and then give a swirl everytime I walk by and it seems to work just fine.

Do all of you that have stir plates find them that worth while? Any figures on how much it will increase me cell count?

Back