A experiment with beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsrc11

Reaction score
I still new to brewing but as I make more and more batches I'm becoming more and more obsesses with brewing it's the best I feel like a scientist back in collage in my o Chem class. The science aspect of brewing is complex and I love it. I am trying to move into my experimental phase of brewing I have an idea if anyone has some experienced info pleas help. I'm thinking of brewing a frankenstein beer would it be possible to some how combine a dark chocolate stout with a wheat "Hefe" flavor but with a robust coffee chocolate notes with a hazy wheat beer like dunken but not quite. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Or a Cooper Mexican style beer. Oh and this site is the best friendly people with good info I learned about 50 of everything i know from the forum.

If that's what you so desire, why don't you just brew both of those in half size batches, ferment them separately, and then combine them in your bottling bucket and bottle them together?

Just as general advice, when I do experimental beers, I use gallon wine jugs to make small batches; then when I decide I like the recipe, I just multiply the ingredients by 5 to produce a full 5 gallon batch. It saves time and money; most of my gallon recipes so far have cost me about $8-16, which lets me get a lot more creative and wacky than doing 5 gallon experimental batches.

As far as the specific experiments you mentioned, the first thing I would try would be a gallon of dark chocolate stout brewed with WLP300 or the Wyeast equivalent. Then, assuming I liked the result, I would tweak the recipe to include more wheat, or alternately, I'd make a second batch and play with the fermentation temps, since hefe yeast produces more clove flavors at lower temps, and more banana flavors at higher temps.

I've also found Beersmith very helpful as far as recipe formulation.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started. Experimental beer is a lot of fun.

corwin3083 said:
Just as general advice, when I do experimental beers, I use gallon wine jugs to make small batches; then when I decide I like the recipe, I just multiply the ingredients by 5 to produce a full 5 gallon batch. It saves time and money; most of my gallon recipes so far have cost me about $8-16, which lets me get a lot more creative and wacky than doing 5 gallon experimental batches.

As far as the specific experiments you mentioned, the first thing I would try would be a gallon of dark chocolate stout brewed with WLP300 or the Wyeast equivalent. Then, assuming I liked the result, I would tweak the recipe to include more wheat, or alternately, I'd make a second batch and play with the fermentation temps, since hefe yeast produces more clove flavors at lower temps, and more banana flavors at higher temps.

I've also found Beersmith very helpful as far as recipe formulation.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started. Experimental beer is a lot of fun.

Thanks man I'll give it a try

Dark wheat beer may be underrated.I dont know i dont pay attention, but im growing to love dark wheat beers,I brewed a slightly smoked honey dunkelweizen and turned out as good as i expected.Take a dunkle and tweak it alittle. Or just make a wheat stout and use a hefe yeast and ferment it in the low 70's. All hell of happiness will break loose when you drink it,careful-easy doesit.

Back