Question about FG nad BJCP style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricT

Reaction score
I just brewed an IPA with an OG of 1.059 and a FG of 1.005. According to BJCP this is too low to be within style but everything else is, including ABV. Could it still be submitted into competition or would it be thrown out immediately? :mug:

Depends on how it tastes. If it tastes too dry, then you'll get dinged for it. The competitions I've done did not require giving the stats and recipes for entries. So they may not even know if it is balanced enough. 1.005 is pretty dry for a bitter beer though. The dryness will only further accentuate the bitterness.

Thanks for the reply, the hydro sample was tasty but .... dry. May just need to try this one again and get it right.

No, one ever get thrown out of the competition. No one will likely notice that it technically falls out of the range, you might get a couple of point taken off, and it might not win the competition, but you will get good feed back how your doing.
Winning competition's is really hard, there are so many good brewers, including the organizers of the completion, and even if you win, there is not much glory in making the best mediocre beer. Most of the Beer styles in the BJCP don't represent the best tasting beers, there more like historically how was that beer made, not how it's best made today, with our current malts and hops. I am after the kind of beers that get the rave reviews when others who know say "that's a good beer".

No, one ever get thrown out of the competition. No one will likely notice that it technically falls out of the range, you might get a couple of point taken off, and it might not win the competition, but you will get good feed back how your doing.
Winning competition's is really hard, there are so many good brewers, including the organizers of the completion, and even if you win, there is not much glory in making the best mediocre beer. Most of the Beer styles in the BJCP don't represent the best tasting beers, there more like historically how was that beer made, not how it's best made today, with our current malts and hops. I am after the kind of beers that get the rave reviews when others who know say "that's a good beer".

I'm certainly not looking to win, just want some feedback. The only thing I hear is from friends and co-workers, which is their opinion but not really valuable to alter my brewing process to fix off-taste's. Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back