My Absinthe Tasting Observations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
Fed Ex just dropped off my bottle of Absinthe. I got the Lucid brand after doing some online research and hearing good things about this one.

Taste: Very stong licorice flavor dominates. A slight sweetness accents this from the small amount of sugar that the cold water was poured over. This is very alcoholic, even diluted with the water. There is a milky texture to the liquid, Very different flavor than anything else.

Color: At first, it's very clear with a slit greenish tint. The cold water dripped in turns it a very milky cream color. Kida cool watching it change just from water.

Smell: Can't really smell this, its too alcoholic for me. But the licorice definitely makes itself known. Next time I won't be using a taperred glass.

Overall: It pretty much tastes like 140 proof licorice tea or something. My palate isn't sensitive or trained enough to get past the astringency of the alcohol to pick up the other subtle flavors that I'm sure are in here.

I'm sure this is an aquired taste so I bet I'll be into it by the time half the bottle is gone. The bottle set me back about 80 bucks with shipping so I'll be taking it slow.

Lucid is a pretty decent US-sanctioned absinthe. As your tastes adjust to it, you should appreciate it a bit more. Also, part of the enjoyment of absinthe is the ritual. The slotted spoon, the ice water. If you want some theatrics, pour some absinthe over the sugar cube on a slotted spoon. Wait a few moments, and set your sugarcube on fire, let it burn for a few seconds, then you can put out the flame and finish the dissolve of the cube with your ice water. Be sure to pour slowly.

I am not familiar with Texas, but I go to New Orleans at least once a year. If you want to enjoy a good imported absinthe, go to the Pravda Bar on Decatur in the evening. They have a great courtyard out back where you can sit and enjoy your drink. If you choose to do this, be prepared to drop $30 per drink, but it is worth it.

i smuggled a bottle of Tabu back from Amsterdam about four or five years ago, but haven't opened it yet.

My brother brought me a bottle back from spain a few years ago. I don't like licorice and in absinthe it is waay too much to me, so anything more drawn out than a shot is out of the question. At 170 proof, it is a licorice fireball. It only comes out when things are getting messed up!

And this right here is why I will never know the taste of absinthe. I hate HATE the taste of licorice, anise, or blackjack.

hmmm.
When I move there, perhaps you will reconsider.
SWMBO is an absinthe fiend.
If you like it, she will bake you a pot pie, albeit my recipe.
but baked by a fiery Italian.

learn to love the licorice, if you know whats good for you. :tank:

I've had this one before Absinthe 35,Absinthe 35 small bottle - WWW.ABSINTHE-DEALER.COM

Absinthe 35, a mate got a few bottles back from the Czech republic and I bought one off of him.
It's pretty rough stuff, the Thujone makes it very very very bitter, not to mention the 70%ABV or the very strong liquorice. I dunno if the US ones are allowed to have the Thujone in their, but it makes for a very bitter drink.
I found it very hard to drink, but the wife loves it.
I've also had a go on the "King of Spirits" gold one with Van gogh on the front, that still has bits of wormwood floating in the bottom of it. Damn that stuff is rough, like drinking paint remover or something, it's not pleasant stuff, but it has a crazy crazy buzz. You can get tunnel vision when drinking it...no really.....

I just had some Mansinthe, pretty tasty stuff. I am still waiting for the most awesome Absinthe I have ever had to be released.

Absinthe can definitely be an acquired taste. A lot of the brands Ive tried lack balance, it shouldn't taste like licorice tea with vodka it needs to have a strong wormwood presence (kind of earthy and herbal with some bitterness) and usually a little bit of citrus and mint to round things out. I cant remember the name right now but the best brand Ive had was a really nice balance between the bitterness of wormwood and the sweetness of licorice, it didnt need a sugar cube. In fact I would drizzle the water over ice not sugar for all absinthe, the sugar tends to make it taste medicinal.

Matt, is the Mansinthe, the "absinthe" that Marilyn Manson put out?

I remember reading an article in Maxim years ago that peaked my interest. So I got online and ordered a few bottles of Pernod from the UK. I have to say its one of the worst things I have ever tried. Although I didn't realize how much I hated licorice flavor until I had some. Although the reviews said how the "Drug" effect would make you more euphoric and talkative etc. So I guess I fell into all the hype at the time. So high in ABV I couldn't see any drug over powering its effects.

Matt, is the Mansinthe, the "absinthe" that Marilyn Manson put out?

Yes. It is a very easy drinking absinthe and has an artistic portrait of a green head. And by the by, how is it that all of you guys that don't like licorice/anise keep spending the money on absinthe? It makes no sense. Like saying you don't like apples and yet you get applesauce or calvados. Strange I say, very strange.

Also, I hope that everyone is watering it down. You don't drink absinthe straight unless you want it to burn all the way down. It is supposed to be enjoyed at about half the strength it comes in.

I do add the 4-5 oz of cold water to dilute it. It's not that I don't like licorice, it's just a different flavor for my liquor than what I'm used to. I'll probably have some more this coming weekend while I brew. I spent the money, might as well enjoy it.

I've got a friend up in Portland that makes very good Absinthe, good enough that he has a backer to the tune of $250K to go pro.

I don't like it, so I'll probably never acquire the taste.

hmmm.
When I move there, perhaps you will reconsider.
SWMBO is an absinthe fiend.
If you like it, she will bake you a pot pie, albeit my recipe.
but baked by a fiery Italian.

learn to love the licorice, if you know whats good for you. :tank:

No. I do not like green eggs and absinthe
I do not like them tha taint chicken-eth
I will not drink it with a fox
I will not drink it out of your box
I will not drink it nice and plain
I will not drink it while doing a train
I will not drink it here or there
I will not drink it anywhere!

I've been enjoying absinthe for several months now. I've been through 2 bottles of Lucid and have tried several others. For some interesting flavors (and nights) try using ice cold champagne instead of the water, still using the sugar. Make sure you don't have anything important to do the next day though, the concoction is called "death in the afternoon" for a reason. It tasted great and does slightly lessen the licorice flavor, but I don't think I'll be trying them again that way. Too painful the next day for me.

I have not yet tried absinthe. I have had Chartreuse. Has anyone tried them both? Any comparisons?

Back