Munich Helles 2011 1st Place HBT- Light lager- Augustiner Lagerbier Hell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's a tasty looking beer right der
I concur.
This is my hell brew lol Going to rebrew with a very healthy pitch of wlp838 next time and see how it comes out. This batch was close but it still needs to be done right :)
Now you got me thinking this might be the route I go. How are you liking the conical fermenter? I heard they're pretty flimsy.

I concur.

Now you got me thinking this might be the route I go. How are you liking the conical fermenter? I heard they're pretty flimsy.
I enjoy mine quite a bit. I'm interested to hear if @rtstrider has any comparison to the original gen 3.

Can I ask...flimsy as compared to what? It's no SS vessel, of course, but for a pressure-capable every day fermentor mine have taken quite a bit of use with no issue. The occasional leaking post to chase down and tighten but it's solid. It's light and you can accidentally push it around a little but with a thin PET fermentor I think that comes with the territory. If you want to own it forever then buy SS. I don't regret the purchase at all, though. And I like these because you get to watch the magic happen. Not limited to just sniffing the airlock any more 😂

I concur.

It's basically a big soda bottle. I love it and the pressure fermenting capability. The fact I can get lagers fermented, cold crashed, packaged, and ready to drink in around 14 days is huge! I followed the kegland pressure fermenting article and start around 54F for 24 hours and bump up 4F each day until it hits 66F then let it ride. It's set to 15psi the whole way. Also the container at the bottom has made yeast harvesting easier too!

I enjoy mine quite a bit. I'm interested to hear if @rtstrider has any comparison to the original gen 3.

Can I ask...flimsy as compared to what? It's no SS vessel, of course, but for a pressure-capable every day fermentor mine have taken quite a bit of use with no issue. The occasional leaking post to chase down and tighten but it's solid. It's light and you can accidentally push it around a little but with a thin PET fermentor I think that comes with the territory. If you want to own it forever then buy SS. I don't regret the purchase at all, though. And I like these because you get to watch the magic happen. Not limited to just sniffing the airlock any more 😂
I haven't used a Gen 3 so I can't really comment too much there. I will say there was a learning curve moving to the Gen 4 from a 3 tier system. One of the issues I ran into right out of the gate was insanely high efficiency. The first 2 brews were right over 90% and were like drinking rocket fuel lol Had to dial back the crush a bit to help with circulation and lower efficiency.

Back