Primary smells like apples --> is this normal)?!?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have yet another question.

I am brewing a redwood ale using malt extract. I have reached my final gravity after only three days. Everything seemed to look and smell fine (from personaly intuition...since this is my first batch ever), until today...

I`ve just peaked into my primary to realize that it smells awefully like apples (on the verge of going rancid)...is this normal or is this some type of side-effect due to contamination?

I`ve noticed that my temperature is a bit bellow 20 degrees celcius...could that be the cause?

Thanks again in advance!

Gab

Hi Gabrew

I find the appley smell/taste goes away with longer ferment/conditioning time.
I noticed this appley effect on "green" beers (under 1 month old).

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Your beers fine, you're suffering from n00b-itus...:D

Fermentation is ugly and sometimes nasty smelling, that's the case when you have a natural process happening with living organisms...Just relax, step away from the fermenter for a week and all will be well. It's not a new baby, it doesn't need to be stared at constantly. The yeasts don't need your help, so let them do their jobs. :D

RDWHAHB!!!!!!!!!!

Read this, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362

Then go buy another fermenter and brew another batch, it'll take your mind off the first one.

Revvy said:
Then go buy another fermenter and brew another batch, it'll take your mind off the first one.

Good advice. When I found myself obsessing over my first brew I did just that. Of course then I started obsessing over both brews so the problem was actually made worse. Just an extreme case of "n00b-itus" I guess.

Alright...I`ll just start another batch, hopefully it`ll help be a little more patient.

Thanks to everyone....once again!

Revvy, you've made my signature.

Back