BF Cooler Fitting for Coleman Xtreme 70 qt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
After doing some research on here to figure out what hardware I needed to make my MLT from a 70qt Coleman Xtreme, it looked like I needed the 2" cooler fitting. I got the cooler for Christmas (initially was bought the smaller one, but traded it in at the store for the 70 qt) and was also given the fittings along with the cooler. Turns out the 2" nipple was too long, despite the few threads I read :( So let this be a warning and advisement to all looking for this info:
The Colemane Xtreme 70 qt and 62 qt coolers require the 1.5" nipple from Bargain Fittings.

Now my decision comes down to trying to exchange the fitting I have or pad it with washers?

Yeah. Thankfully I went and measured and then double-checked with bargainfittings.com, so in the end I ended up with the 1.5" nipple.

My next step is to waterproof the insulation and to reinforce the wall with the PVC sleeve.

or ditch the fitting and use 3/8 cvpvc threw the stock drain hole, taps in nicely with a hammer, then use 1/2 cvpvc over the 3/8 with a 1/2 cvpvc ball valve.
works great no leaks and going strong for over a year with a cvpvc /braid manifold

Gremlyn1 (or anyone for that matter), do you know if the lid for the 70 qt. cooler is insulated or not?

Gremlyn1 (or anyone for that matter), do you know if the lid for the 70 qt. cooler is insulated or not?

I believe it is -- I've brewed 6 batches with this cooler and without any added blanks or anything I've never lost more than 1 deg F. Last brewday was warm out and I didn't lose a single degree over 60 mins.

Regarding the manifold, I WAS using a weldless ball-valve assembly (the same one I have on my keggle from my LHBS) and a SS braid as the manifold. Just recently I made my own rectangle manifold out of 3/8" cpvc, and I got a 3/8" cpvc -> 1/2" male adapter that fit right into the end of the ball valve assembly. No leaks, sparges evenly, and cost me about $8.

Did you have issues with the braid? Also, do you preheat the cooler at all?

My issue with the braid was that I had to be super careful when stirring the mash for it not to move around and actually stick up out of the top of the grain bed. With the cpvc I can stir away and have no problems at all.

I do preheat the cooler - I heat my strike water about 10deg higher than my strike temp and pour it into the cooler, then let it cool down to the strike temp before doughing in. Hit my temps every time!

Back