Blow-Off Hose cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
Here is a good one...

I have a blow-off hose that fits into the universal 5 gallon stopper for the carboy.

I had a vigorous fermentation with a lot of foam and such come through the tube. I bottled the beer this weekend, and I was trying to clean the hose, but with no luck. I couldn't really get all the way in the middle of the tube to clean the gunk out.. So does anyone have any special methods for cleaning out the leftover scum inside a blow-off hose??

Take a large bucket (a recently used bottling bucket is my favorite). Fill said bucket with water. Add 1 scoop Oxiclean. Add all other brewery stuff that needs cleaning.

The End.

Edited: Oh, and if you're using a brush of some sort to clean your tubing, you're begging for an infection.

So for your cleaning process you do Oxiclean for sanitizing and then Star San (or one of the many flavors) for sterilizing?

Overnight Oxiclean soak for cleaning, Star San for sanitizing. Bingo.

Note also that sanitizing and sterilizing aren't the same thing. As a homebrewer who's not brewing in a clean room (as in a medical clean room, not to say that you kitchen isn't clean) you're never going to achieve 100% sterilization.

That sounds like a good method. I'll have to pick up some Oxiclean from the store. I thought that was only sold through ****ty infomercials, so rock on!

Back