Fermenting 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris K

Reaction score
Just seeking advice on how you all are fermenting 10 gallon boils/batches if you don't have a larger conical.

Are you using one larger fermenting vessle? or using multiple carboys/bb/buckets and splitting your yeast starters for them?

Is 10g of liquid too much to comfortably move around (lift/relocate/etc).

I am looking to step up to making 10g batches and want to have the fermentation part ironed out before brew day.

Thanks in advance
Chris K

so for the two carboy/bb method, is there anything you do special with the yeast? larger starter or same size just split between the two?

also, anyone ever use one of these 10 or 20 gallon pails that northerbrew sells. the site mentions them for wine but not beer. they seem fairly cheap, but probably not as cheap as two buckets/carboys/bb

so for the two carboy/bb method, is there anything you do special with the yeast? larger starter or same size just split between the two?

also, anyone ever use one of these 10 or 20 gallon pails that northerbrew sells. the site mentions them for wine but not beer. they seem fairly cheap, but probably not as cheap as two buckets/carboys/bb
When I split mine, I make 2 separate starters, then pour half of the yeast pack/vial into each one. I haven't had any issues doing this.

10 gallons is going to weight about 90 lbs for a 1.050 OG. I don't know about you, but that's a bit much for me to carry, espically as I ferment down stairs so I'd have to carry that down stairs. I just split it into two 6.5 gallon buckets. And you should use twice as much yeast as you do for a 5 gallon batch. Just make a bigger starter and split it between the two buckets.

If/when I do buy a conical, I'll still be carring 5 gallon buckets downstairs and then transfering it into the conical unless I get help from a friend to carry downstairs.

Back